For seasoned United travelers my story may be old news, but it was a rude awakening to me. I sent the below complaint to United. Their response - perhaps not surprisingly - was "tough luck".
I would like to register a complaint about a recent United
flight. On Saturday April 23 I (along with my family) were on flight 967
from Rome to Dulles. The names and FF numbers for the passengers
Note that John and Bridget are young children.
The night prior to the flight I checked in on-line.
To my surprise there were exactly 4 seats available in the Economy
seating area. These seats were scattered around the cabin not near to
each other at all. I selected those seats with the intention of fixing
the issue when I arrived at the airport.
The next morning I spoke to
the gate agent at the Rome airport. She indicated to me that the only
way to seat us together is if the 4 of us upgraded to economy plus
seating. I paid the fee (I don't recall what the Euro charge was but
it shows up as $455.49 on my credit card statement). We were as signed
three seats together and a separate fourth seat one row behind. I was
annoyed to discover that none of the 4 seats were aisle seats all were
At this point I was annoyed, but I was just going to chalk
it up as a lesson learned. I didn*t get really upset until I talked to
the people in the seats around us. It turns out the one person to my
left and the couple to my right were all sitting in Economy plus without
paying for it. They got bumped up to economy plus. This was EXTREAMLY
aggravating. It was especially annoying with respect to the person on my
left because he had the superior aisle seat.
This experience left
me with a very negative impression of United. I essentially feel like I
Recent ActivityView all Air Travel activity »
- 1 NFL Football Game
- 2 Air China? EVA? Business Class
- 3 US border preclearance
- 4 Are you planning to fly AA in December?
- 5 How Many Passport Pages?
- 6 Layover time in Los Angeles
- 7 RyanAir Carry-On
- 8 FLY DOMESTICALLY WITH NYS DRIVER'S LICENSE ONLY??
- 9 Air Berlin is Kaput
- 10 Very bad experience in AMS
- 11 traveling thru Sal Salvador airport with quick layover
- 12 OK to Book via United's U.K. site--& What Happened to 1-Way Bookings?
- 13 So lucky on Lufthansa
- 14 Carry on question.
- 15 Traveling with two passports, with different names.
- 16 IBERIA BAGGAGE ALLOWANCE
- 17 Virgin Atlantic's "Virgin Redhead"!
- 18 Is $746.00 a good deal to Europe Round-Trip?
- 19 Delta JFK connection 1H40M from Inter'l to Domestic. Do-able?
- 20 LH bid for Premium Economy
- 21 JFK international terminal to domestic terminal - how much time?
- 22 $1500 to Europe economy in May- buy now or wait?
- 23 Changing Airlines at EWR
- 24 A horror story about Justfly
- 25 WOW bargain not so "wow"