Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   Leaving New Year's Eve, Arriving NY's Day: Which year gets the FF miles? (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/leaving-new-years-eve-arriving-nys-day-which-year-gets-the-ff-miles-569884/)

marcy_ Nov 9th, 2005 01:14 PM

Leaving New Year's Eve, Arriving NY's Day: Which year gets the FF miles?

Just curious:
We're flying to Hong Kong, leaving New Year's Eve, arriving New Year's Day, on American Airlines (and Cathay Pacific), and I'm wondering which year the FF miles are applied to?

Are they accrued for each segment separately on the date of completion of the segment?

Trying to figure out my travel strategy for maintaining my Platinum status.

rkkwan Nov 9th, 2005 01:29 PM

Departure date. So it's 2005 for your Asian-bound flight. But if you're connecting in NRT, then NRT-HKG will be 2006.

rkkwan Nov 9th, 2005 01:32 PM

Oh let me take it back, CX's late flight LAX-HKG CX881 departs LAX 12:15am, so that's 1/1/2006, if you're on that one.

Same thing CX873 SFO-HKG. 12:10am 1/1/2006.

BeachBoi Nov 9th, 2005 01:41 PM

Well, they could be on CX 885, departing LAX 11.25 am(Dec 31) and arriving 6.45pm Jan 1 NYD.

rkkwan Nov 9th, 2005 06:29 PM

Yeah, they could be, or via Tokyo. I realized the OP says arriving HKG the next day. Those late LAX/SFO flights will arrive the morning of Jan 2 instead.

marcy_ Nov 9th, 2005 07:16 PM

You were right the first time- we're connecting in Tokyo.

Hmmm-- Too bad, I was hoping to have all those miles for 2006.

rkkwan Nov 9th, 2005 07:28 PM

CX flights earn very few, if any, AA miles, except high fare class anyways.

rkkwan Nov 10th, 2005 08:35 AM

I just looked up aa.com.

If you're flying coach, B & Y fare on CX will earn 100% AAdvantage miles and 150% EQM. H will earn 100% miles and 100% EQM.

No miles nor EQM for any other coach fares.

But if you're flying F or C, then that's different, of course.

AAFrequentFlyer Nov 11th, 2005 12:40 PM

<b>rkwann</b>,

you mean EQPs, not EQMs :-)

marcy_ Nov 11th, 2005 12:51 PM

OK, this seems ridiculous, but where do I look to tell what sort of fare I have?

We're flying coach (unfortunately :( ), but where do I look to see if it's a Y or a B, or whatever?

Also, another question:
Do coach passengers with AA Platinum (oneworld sapphire) status get to use the lounges?

The AA site seems to say that we do, when flying internationally, but when I looked on Cathay Pacific's website, it seems to indicate that we don't.

rkkwan Nov 11th, 2005 12:55 PM

Hehehhe... EQM, EQP, MQM, all the same thing, right? :p

AAFrequentFlyer Nov 11th, 2005 01:06 PM

not really.......

marcy_ Nov 11th, 2005 01:39 PM

I don't know how my last post got placed up above the last two!
I swear I posted it later!

Anyway, forgive my impatience if you have already seen my questions, but rkkwan or AAFF, or anyone else -- can you help?

AAFrequentFlyer Nov 11th, 2005 01:59 PM

<b>marcy</b>,

Can you look up the itn on aa.com? if so, you should be able to see the fare code. If not, just call AA Plat desk and ask.

You will have access to any and all OneWorld Business Lounges. There are 2 CX lounges in HKG. The Wing and the Pier. The big difference between the 2 is the first class lounge and my preffered choice is the Pier. Nevertheless, you should find either lounge a very nice option during your travels.

Are you flying on AA/CX coded tickets, or all AA coded? That could be the difference.

AAFrequentFlyer Nov 11th, 2005 02:14 PM

sorry, I should have said: <b>that could be the difference in mileage earning.</b>

marcy_ Nov 11th, 2005 02:18 PM

Is it listed under booking code on the itinerary?
If so, it's <b>M</b>, which I guess won't give us any miles. Sigh!

While we're over there, we'll be flying from HKG to BKK (coach), which we booked separately, directly through Cathay Pacific.
Will we still get to use the lounges in Hong Kong for that trip?

Thanks for the help!

marcy_ Nov 11th, 2005 02:21 PM

Th flight from NRT- HKG was booked through AA, if that makes a difference.

marcy_ Nov 11th, 2005 02:22 PM

That was supposed to be <b><i>&quot;The&quot;</i></b> flight!

AAFrequentFlyer Nov 11th, 2005 03:27 PM

Anytime you fly OW partner, as an AA Plat/Ow Sapphire you will have access to any and all OW business lounges.

Is the flight from NRT to HKG a CX coded flight or AA coded flight?, meaning, does it have a CX flight number or AA flight number.
If it's AA flight number you will get full miles, if it's CX flight number you will not get any miles with M fare.

marcy_ Nov 11th, 2005 05:29 PM

How do you tell whose flight number it is?
My itinerary says &quot;American Airlines Operated by Cathay Pacific&quot; Flight 6113.