How to avoid low cost European airlines baggage fees

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 2012, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be flying alot on our next trip and the baggages fees are ridiculous! Is there a way around them? There is no way we would be able to fit into carryon sized bags
Old Aug 21st, 2012, 03:16 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Nope. Makes them seem a little less low-cost, doesn't it?

While you're at it, take a note of which airports they use, and see if the costs to get into town are the same/less/more as the "high cost" airlines.
Old Aug 21st, 2012, 06:21 PM

Maybe you should ask yourself WHY there is "no way" you would be able to fit into carryon sized bags. How long will you be gone? Many people pack for 2 to 3 week trips using just a carry on bag.
Old Aug 21st, 2012, 10:14 PM

I pack for six weeks using just a carry on bag.
Old Aug 21st, 2012, 10:20 PM

<i>How to avoid low cost European airlines baggage fees</i>

How would you avoid low cost American / Australian / Far Eastern airlines baggage fees?

If you don't mind looking like a total prat you could always consider a Scottvest.

Then again you might want to ask yourself

1) why you need so much luggage
2) why you need to fly a lot when in Europe
Old Aug 22nd, 2012, 07:12 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"<i>There is no way we would be able to fit into carryon sized bags</i>"

Many people do . . .

"<i>Is there a way around them?</i>

Yes - take trains . . .
Old Aug 23rd, 2012, 10:19 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Of course there's no way "around them". But seriously, you've got all the answers already above:
1) take train, bus or rent a car
2) pack carryon only
3) pay the fees
Old Aug 23rd, 2012, 12:37 PM

put on a large coat with multiple pockets and wear everything you can!
Old Aug 23rd, 2012, 08:52 PM

Packing carry-on only is often not the answer, as many discount airlines have a weight limit that is far less than the typical carry-on.

You could always pack your excesses and mail them ahead, but they may or may not arrive in time.

I think a train is often the best option. It is more comfortable, more scenic, and often faster when you consider how much time it takes to get to and on a flight. For a long leg (recall that Europe is more compact, so many legs are short), I would look for a full-service airline.
Old Aug 24th, 2012, 11:44 AM

I paid a total of 97 euros, for TWO adult tickets to fly from Barcelona to Paris on Easyjet. That included checking one bag each, and all taxes. So sorry, don't see how that was expensive.
We flew from Nice to Barcelona on Vueling, and the checked bag I paid for cost me 11 euros ,, sorry, considering I only paid less then 40 euros for my ticket I sure don't think I got ripped off there either.

Where it DOES get expensive is when you go over the weight allowence , on Vueling you can pay between 11-25 euros for checked luggage up to 23 kg.. after that its 10 euros a kg,, now that would hurt!
Old Aug 24th, 2012, 12:20 PM

<i>Where it DOES get expensive is when you go over the weight allowence </i>

Or you are the sort of person who thinks that when the airline says one piece of hand luggage they actually mean several pieces, or the sort of person who when told you must check-in online and print off the boarding card then doesn't.
Old Aug 24th, 2012, 12:21 PM

Anyhow - any excuse to publish the standard text on low costs airlines and their fees

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAg0lUYHHFc
Old Aug 24th, 2012, 08:05 PM

The carry on size for an airline like Easy Jet or Ryan air is ridiculous-no purse,no laptop,etc. without it going in your carry on bag which is supposed to be the size of a postage stamp.
And yes, I am a flight attendant with a major US international airline and complain about the crap that people bring on my flights all the time!
Old Aug 24th, 2012, 11:50 PM

One big chunk of those airline's business is people going away for a party weekend in Berlin or Barcelona, three days sigtseeing in London, commuting between home and work (as far as Eastern Europe/ British Isles) or going for a week in the sun in Southern Spain.
None of these activities require a lot of luggage and you see the majority of passengers doing it with those small carry-ons.
The problems of a world jetsetter away on a 6 week vacation who needs either a big carry-on or a checked suitcase no not exactly touch the core business of those airlines.
Especially Ryanair's bag fees are hilarious in high season to many destinations. But otoh I don't know if something like an extra €25-40 for a checked bag is that relevant when you fly 1-2K kms and compare options, like outrageuos one-way fares for legacy airlines, costs for gas (40 euros will buy you half a tank) or an overnight train in high season. It can be cheaper and comparing full prices (incl. Travel to/from low budget airports) is always a must, though.
Old Aug 25th, 2012, 06:37 AM

<i>The carry on size for an airline like Easy Jet or Ryan air is ridiculous-no purse,no laptop,etc. without it going in your carry on bag which is supposed to be the size of a postage stamp.</i>

EasyJet's size is 56x45x25cm with no weight limit which makes it more generous than most legacy airlines outside the US let alone among the low costs.

Guess it shows why people choose not to fly with major US international airlines.
Old Aug 27th, 2012, 11:48 AM

AlanRow that U Tube link for 'Cheap Flights' was hilarious. Thank you so much for posting it.
Old Aug 27th, 2012, 12:46 PM

Dutyfree, yes, I just flew on Easyjet this summer, and yes, its one carry on, but it was most certainly not the size of a postage stamp and I was able to put full size messenger styple purse inside my carryon . Its best to check each airlines requirements individually , not to make or trust blanket statements that may not be valid in each case( as in this one about Easyjet).

Vueling is an affordable airline and allows one carry on and a purse or laptop. Ryanair is known to be one of the most restrictive airlines, but worse, uses far flung airports that can great increase travel time and comute costs( ie airport they use for Paris is 90 kms away, and no direct train service, and 1.5 hours of travel at least)