Air New Zealand just called me to advise my flight would be late

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14th, 2013, 11:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts

I've flown a lot over the years and I and can only remember an airline calling me once to advise of a delay (and I figured that was because it was Business Class on Singapore Airlines).

I'm not thrilled about the delay, but really pleased about the phone call. Not only did it save us sitting at the airport for an extra 2.25 hours, the woman who called also moved us to a later connecting flight. Great service.

I can't imagine a US based airline calling under similar circumstances, but maybe I'm wrong - do airlines generally call customers when a flight is delayed? Do they send text messages? (I'm cell phone free so I have no idea).
Old Aug 15th, 2013, 03:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is still fairly common for Delta.
Old Aug 15th, 2013, 04:13 AM

One time, Cathay Pacific sent a text message in the middle of the night for a 6 am flight that was delayed and when I got to the airport, confirmed that that would mean I would miss my connection in Hong Kong. They upgraded me to business class - nice - and when I got to Hong Kong, my connecting flight had also been delayed and I caught it after all. (though unfortunately back to economy)

There must delays all the time
Old Aug 15th, 2013, 04:47 AM

Its very common on US carriers - you choose how you would like to be contacted; by phone, text or email.

Last week I was flying on United and the flight was delayed, I got an email every 10 minutes it was delayed (4 in total).

Last year, I was delayed on American. There was an automatic phone call that listed the delay, however it was incorrect! I was already at the airport, thank goodness, or I would have missed that flight.
Old Aug 15th, 2013, 05:43 AM

With all the travelling you do, Mel, you deserve to be treated well.
Old Aug 16th, 2013, 07:59 AM

I have gotten calls before from US carriers.
Old Aug 16th, 2013, 11:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Greetings from gloomy Mt Cook, NZ!

Ha, ha Elizatravels - I must have missed all the calls from previously delayed flights!.

In the case of phone calls, are these robo calls or actual people? Air NZ was an actual person.

Good to hear all of this, I'm a bit surprised, but maybe we were just lucky as I was home at the time. I mentioned at the check in counter that I appreciated the call, the agent said they try to contact everyone, but many people don't leave contact details.

The flight was three hours late, but the service in Premium Economy was lovely and the food was worth staying awake for!