Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   LAX connections, terminal 2 (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/lax-connections-terminal-2-a-922517/)

lynchmobb Feb 3rd, 2012 10:33 AM

LAX connections, terminal 2

We are travelling Air Canada to LAX with a connection on Hawaiian Airlines -- with a 2.5 hr layover between flights. Since we clear customs in Canada for US travel -- I am assuming we don't have to repeat the process at LAX? Also -- since we are travelling with 2 different airlines, do we claim our bags from our AC flight -- and then proceed to the HA counter to check our bags for flight #2? Travelling as a family of 5 -- and LAX is crazy... so I want to ensure we don't waste time at the airport figuring it out the day of travel. Any travel advice would be appreciated!

eliztravels Feb 3rd, 2012 12:01 PM

You are correct that you don't have to clear customs on arrival at LAX. Whether you have to claim bags or not depends on if you have a code share flight. You ought to be able to tell on your itinerary if it has both AC and HA #'s for the second leg and says "operated by". Call AC if you are not sure. If you do have to get your bags, I think 2.5 hours should be sufficient. On your return, however, you will have to collect your bags and go through customs upon landing at LAX.

We've gone through LAX 3 times to 3 different destinations in Australia, twice code share and once not, and never had more than minor problems, which you have to expect for any air travel these days. Be clear regarding which terminal you arrive and depart at, and be prepared to be assertive and ask for help getting through the lines if there are unexpected delays.

Enjoy your travels.

rkkwan Feb 3rd, 2012 08:02 PM

Bags can be tagged through to final destination as long as the two airlines have interline baggage agreements. And most major airlines do, like AC and HA. Just have the AC agent tagged your bags to final destination, by providing information of your other flight. Doesn't need to be codeshare, doesn't
need to be same ticket, doesn't need to be in same alliance, etc.

And I have no idea what the other poster is talking about customs at LAX on the return.

mrwunrfl Feb 3rd, 2012 09:24 PM

HA is in terminal 2

rkkwan Feb 4th, 2012 01:34 AM

Bigger question is how to spend those two long hours inside T2.

Surfergirl Feb 8th, 2012 03:35 PM

T2 is really entertainment challenged and totally unfoodworthy. Wolfgang Pulk's express bar is about it!

Except, if you flew business class, you can hang out in the Air Canada lounge located in T2 or the outstanding Air New Zealand lounge.

Other alternative is to cross the street and head to Encounter for an hour or so.

eliztravels Feb 14th, 2012 01:09 PM

OOPs, my mistake thinking they would have to clear customs on the return. I forgot that Hawaii is part of the US.