JFK: Is 2.5 hours enough for the following senario

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2012, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I booked two flights separately and I booked them too close together on accident. I really don't want to rebook, so I was wondering if the following will be possible.

I will be landing at terminal 8 on an international flight. I will need to go through customs, passport control, and baggage. Then I need to go to terminal 3 for my next flight. I am assuming that I need to check my luggage and go through security.

How can I save time?

Is this even possible or should I rebook?
Old May 8th, 2012, 11:22 AM

The best way to save time is to not check any bags, and then you might make it. You could make it anyway, but that's really really close. I wouldn't chance it. I'd rebook; if it's been less than 24 hours, you might be able to cancel one or both flights.
Old May 8th, 2012, 11:46 AM
P_M

Even if you booked your tickets separately it's possible the two airlines have a bag checking agreement. In that case they could check your bag through to your final destination. You still have to get your bag and go thru customs but afterwards you could just hand it off to a baggage handler instead of going to the check in counter to re-check it.

As Doug said this will be tight so find out the rules/penalties if you miss your next flight.
Old May 8th, 2012, 07:06 PM

Make sure you do online checkin for your second flight ahead of time. Baggage aside, you then only need to get to the gate befor they close the door.
Old May 9th, 2012, 05:22 AM

The problem with interline baggage agreements is that you'd have to believe that the airlines will be able to get a bag from Terminal 8 to 3. JFK has enough problems getting bags from one plane to another in the same terminal.

But you'd definitely and absolutely have to be checked in for both flights in advance. I'm guessing American and Delta do have an interline agreement, so that might help. But it doesn't get you through immigration any faster, nor does it get your bags out onto the belt any faster (American is pretty slow at JFK in getting bags out ... though on occasion I've gotten one fairly quickly).
Old May 13th, 2012, 01:19 PM

....here are the logistics involved.....even if you booked on one ticket and checked your baggage through, the procedures wouldn't be all that different. You go through immigration (if you're not travelling on a Canadian or US passport or are not a green card holder, they will take your mug shot and a finger print..welcome to the land of the free and home of the brave...you then go into the customs hall and await your baggage again whether you're checked throughor not. No difference of time there. You go through the customs inspector who will look at your customs declaration and either pass you through or send you for a secondary inspection. No difference there.

Now the difference comes in. If you have checked your luggage through, on the other side of the customs inspector, you return your checked baggage to the custody of the airline which will send it off to the connecting flight. OTOH if you haven't checked yur baggage through, you don't do this. In either case, you hop on the air train to terminal 3....frequent clean service no problem there. At terminal 3, if you still have your bagge you will have to check it at that point but that will be at the same time you check in. and get your boarding pass. You go through security in either case and head for your gate.

The difference is really minimal. Of course, it is more efficient and a bit less of a hassle if you could fly on the same ticket and same airline (terminal 8 is AA) but 2.5 hours quite frankly sould under most circumstances be enough. The only downer is if you miss the connecting flight, you're on your own. If the flights are written on the same ticket and you miss the connecting flight, it is their obligation if it is a legal connection to get you on the next flight.
Old May 14th, 2012, 05:19 AM

I'm not sure I agree. It's not at all uncommon to have to spend a full hour in immigration at Terminal 8 (well, any terminal at JFK), which can be horribly slow or efficient and quick depending on the time of day and luck of the draw. I've been through immigration there in 10 minutes (though I am a U.S. citizen), but I've also been backed up all the way to the elevators.
Old May 14th, 2012, 03:35 PM

The point is, though, it doesn't matter if the luggage was checked through or not. The time on the queue for immigration would be the same either way, right? Getting your luggage off the carousel would be the same either way, right? The only differene is whether you re-check your luggage at terminal 8 or carry it with you to terminal 3. If 2.5 hours isn't enough one way, it's not enough the other way. But f course delays can occur at any instant too but usually 2.5 hours is enough....the caveat being, as I said, if something goes wrong, ou have fewer remedies with 2 separate tickets than you do with one.