Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Jet Airways JFK- BRU BRU-BMA 55 min connection time? Book with Vayama?

Apr 13th, 2011, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

How is Jet airways? Read pretty good review and $200 less than Delta per tix. 55 minutes connection time in Brussels is a concern, but then if I get the tix with Vayama, I can buy Travelguard for $35 each and that would cover miss connection. Prefer to get to my destination without a glitch but you never know......Disadvantage with Vayama is no milage. If book directly with Jet Airways would get milage and a tad more and no travelguard( or buy seperately which is moe than $120 each) How's Vayama? The review is a mixed bag. Travel in early -mid May so I have to make up my mind soon.
Apr 13th, 2011, 07:12 AM

Jet runs a mini hub at BRU, so there should be plenty of connecting passengers on each flight; meaning very likely they'll hold the other flights unless the first flight is excessively late. Similar to what DL and UA runs in NRT. They definitely won't want to have dozens of passengers stranded.
Apr 13th, 2011, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. I was given several connection options, the next one is 10 hours+ and the next is next day. I sure don't want to sit in the airport for 10 hours+. Let's say Jet airway comes in late and I miss that flight, the usual practise is to take the next available but do I get to choose? I might as well go to the city for a nice meal and check into a hotel for some sleep before heading back to the airport is what I am thinking.
Long time ago I miss a Cathy Pacific flight HK-Narita because I was late. Cathy put me on another airline ( It was a US airline but can't remember which) immediately without charging me. Does that happen still?
Apr 13th, 2011, 03:53 PM
J62

Jet Airways JFK to BRU is a nice flight. Definitely a step up from the small AA planes. Nice entertainment system, good food (Indian or western), nice photo ops (rk knows what I mean).

Coach seats are quite comfortable. Mid May you might still have the usual tail wind, which means flight from US across the Atlantic tend to get there sooner rather than later. My flight a few weeks ago left 20min late and arrived 30min early.

I'm not sure travelguard offers you any advantages. Booking a single ticket means you are protected should you miss your connecting flight. Jet is partners with a lot of other airlines, so definitely check out what your other options are to get to BMA. I always prefer to book directly with the airline if I can.

It's very easy to get from BRU airport in to Brussels by train, and there are lockers in the parking area above the train station to store your luggage.
Apr 13th, 2011, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

J62, thanks. It's reassuring to get another endorsement for Jet air. One reason to choose Jet over Delta is the food, I appreciate real food over a snack bar. Is wine served?
Travelguard offers $500 for miss connection, cash reinbursement for the entire ticket if I miss the flight(don't know under what circumstances), emergency evacuation.... I have not used them and I have not read all the fine prints, usually the devils is in the details.
The ticket at the Vayama website is somewhat less as compared with Jet airways .com and Vayama is offering a coupon of $40 for Spring. I have my hesitation as I have not used them before.
Apr 21st, 2011, 07:56 AM

I have used Vayama (but only for non-US flights) and they were fine. Also, I just flew Jet Airways from London to Kathmandu and it is an excellent airline. All manner of booze was available (free) and the food was ok. We had sandwiches, etc departing London late at night and an omlette, etc before arrival in Delhi. Sandwich was good, omlette not too good. We had individual tv's and movie selection was huge.
This was in coach. They are a partner of American Airlines and we were using FF miles.
Apr 21st, 2011, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks JaneB. I decided to fly Delta at the end because it is a direct flight. The airport Jet Air flying into is far from where I am staying, departure is 6:55am and the connection time is either too short or too long. Next time when I go to India, I will try Jetair.