Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   It'll be my first time to ride an airplane and I'm nervous already (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/itll-be-my-first-time-to-ride-an-airplane-and-im-nervous-already-1656713/)

alfie22 Aug 9th, 2018 12:17 AM

It'll be my first time to ride an airplane and I'm nervous already

My sister is set to tie the knot with his foreign boyfriend. The wedding will take place in the States--- that means my whole family will be traveling to a foreign land. But I have a problem. It'll be my first time to ride in an airplane and I'm nervous already. I know it sounds funny but this is so true. How do you advice someone who will ride an airplane for the very first time, not to mention that I have fear with heights? Please help!

jacketwatch Aug 9th, 2018 06:38 AM

Where are you flying from?

TDudette Aug 9th, 2018 11:08 AM

Congrats to your sister! And, yes, what airports, please?

I guess it makes no difference to remind you that flying is the safest transportation of all. If you can afford first class, you'll be more comfortable.

On my first flights, my DH had to give me a drink before I'd even consider getting on a plane. Over time, I got used to it.

Good luck.

suze Aug 9th, 2018 11:56 AM

Fear of heights doesn't really come into it, as long as you aren't claustrophobic you'll be OK. Being in a plane isn't like being at the top of a skyscraper or a mountain top cliff. You don't feel up "high" is what I'm trying to say.

Just bring something to occupy your time... read a book, a magazine, load movies onto your phone or tablet, do crossword puzzles, whatever. Bring headphones or earbuds to listen to music. If you drink, have a cocktail at the airport before boarding.

janisj Aug 9th, 2018 03:59 PM

>>Fear of heights doesn't really come into it, as long as you aren't claustrophobic you'll be OK. Being in a plane isn't like being at the top of a skyscraper or a mountain top cliff. You don't feel up "high" is what I'm trying to say.<<

During the daylight hours of the flight you actually might notice the height. My Mom hated flying partly because of the altitude. She used to snap at my Dad "Don't tell me to look and see the Grand Canyon (or the Mississippi, or London or whatever)! How on earth can I pretend I'm on a bus if I'm looking down on London?" ;) I'd try to get an aisle seat so you are away from the window and can easily get up and walk around if you want to stretch your legs. You'll feel less hemmed in on the aisle.

alfie22 Aug 10th, 2018 12:42 AM

Thanks everyone for your responses. It does not remove my jitters but at least it has lessen.

suze Aug 10th, 2018 09:58 AM

If you aren't using headphones for music or to listen to a book, take some foam ear plugs. Lessening the noise in the cabin can help it be a more relaxing trip.

scdreamer Aug 10th, 2018 12:52 PM

One thing you can do if you are feeling nervous is to watch the flight attendants. They fly thousands of miles every day, and if there was anything to be nervous about, they would be the first to know. As long as they are calmly doing their jobs, you can always be sure everything is fine.

TDudette Aug 10th, 2018 01:00 PM

LOL, scdreamer. This will ensure that one of the attendants has a meltdown unrelated to the flight! :lol:

kamusito Aug 10th, 2018 05:55 PM

are you traveling alone? if you do , make sure to be confortable with the people who will be beiside you it is normal to feel fear in planes and more if it is your first time but i can suggest you to get a set of calm music and relax and enjoy the flight :)

andrews98682 Aug 10th, 2018 08:23 PM

I’m assuming you’re flying in from overseas as opposed to a relatively short hop from someplace like Canada or Mexico. If you have the time and it’s not too expensive, it might be worthwhile to take a short flight just to get used to being in the air before you go on a long trip. There are also psychologists that deal with fear of flying. I know people who take a sleeping pill, though I would be far more afraid of any side effects than being flying.

cdnyul Aug 12th, 2018 05:27 AM

Knowledge is the best cure for fear.
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/trave...ded-180961044/

Bobmrg Aug 12th, 2018 01:58 PM

Consider the folks in the two front seats. To them, it is just another day at the office. Altitude is just a number on an instrument. The fact that there are a hundred or so people just on the other side of the cockpit door has no effect on their actions...they just do what they have been trained to do.

nycgirl1 Aug 27th, 2018 09:32 AM

The best tip I ever got was to remember that the pilots have families, too, and will be doing everything in their power to get themselves there safely. :) I don't know why this is comforting to me, but it is.

ltr Sep 3rd, 2018 04:59 AM

Then one thing that helped me was to remember it is just like a car driving down the road. You will hear noises, and there will be little bumps along the way just like in a car . You might feel the landing gears go up or down. They will turn on the seat belt sign at various times of the flight. It just means they may be passing through an area of known turbulence and they are being cautious.

Dress comfortably and take something to do on the plane because long haul flights can be really boring.

TDudette Sep 3rd, 2018 09:57 AM

ltr, you reminded me of a DIck Francis book where protagonist is a pilot. He also compared the air to the road. Sometimes it is bumpy but not to worry. Have you made the trip yet, alfie22?

Eli Sep 4th, 2018 12:54 PM

Well there are several levels of flying phobia. Experience has taught me that in its severe forms there are some professional treatments which are very effective. However yours seems to be one of the mildest ones, which definitely does not warrant them. One way to quiet your worries is here: https://tinyurl.com/yd4g42me
Drawing of the impressions of someone who had gone through this experience, endorsed by a pilot which has become a sort of an American icon…

lilili123 Sep 4th, 2018 10:48 PM

Bring headphones or earbuds to listen to music

gilly65 Sep 23rd, 2018 09:45 AM

For the first time I was very interested and not scared. Only with time I began to worry. From the excitement, I constantly go to the toilet. ))) It helps me if I take deep breaths and exhalations. I try to control breathing. This sucks.