Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page > Is there an easy way to find out which city is the cheapest to fly into?

Is there an easy way to find out which city is the cheapest to fly into?

May 19th, 2008, 04:18 PM
Original Poster

Is there an easy way to find out which city is the cheapest to fly into?

I would like to fly to Europe this year, and don't really know where . I'm hoping to put together a budget trip. Is there an easier way than checking all the airports individually.

Or is there a site like Kayak that checks European airlines?
May 19th, 2008, 05:16 PM

I'll let others to suggest easy ways, but in general, London (both LHR and LGW) and Dublin (DUB) have the lowest fares from the US. Shannon (SNN) too, but few connections from there. If you want someplace on the continent, try Cologne (CGN).
May 19th, 2008, 05:42 PM

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/cvg/di...EDC2BEA5AAA2FD

is not a booking agent but it does include foreign airline.

Unlike Kayak it does not show online travel agencies nor does it show the few LCCs flying across the big pond, i.e. http://www.meridiana.it/en/index.aspx
May 19th, 2008, 05:49 PM

itasoftware allows you to search for fares within a 300mi radius of an airport. To cover all of Europe, you need to do a few searches. But I've certainly used it that way before.
May 19th, 2008, 05:53 PM

BTW, BRU is a good place to start your 300mi search. It covers London, Paris, Amsterdam, and Frankfurt.

VCE will cover Rome, Milan, Zurich, Munich, Vienna.
May 19th, 2008, 06:08 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much. I appreciate the help.

I also just discovered the Buzz feature on kayak. It shows the fares for European airports.
May 19th, 2008, 06:44 PM

bookmarking.
May 20th, 2008, 06:35 AM

kodi,

it really depends on what city you'll be originating from.

My impression is that a number of European airlines like Austria, KLM, Finair, SAS even BA or AF seem to offer promotional fares.

Also, are you flexible as to what time of the year to travel? Needless to say, summer months are quite expensive, ditto for Xmas/New Year. You're more likely to find cheap flights in winter though you have a drawback of short daylight hours.
May 20th, 2008, 08:22 AM

Theoretically, you can search multiple airports with ITA, if you write your query like this:

To: AMS;CDG;FRA;CGN;HAM;LON;CPH

However, I frequently find that this excludes some/many flights. Keeping the list short helps, but it still doesn't seem to return all the results a normal city to city search would. Not sure why it does it, but I'm guessing that the query stops after returning x number of results.

That being said, aside from random sales or mistake fares, I rarely see anywhere much cheaper than London for coach tickets. Often the other major gateways will price out the same, but rarely will they beat the London price by more than 20 or 30 dollars.
May 20th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

This information is great. Knowing about ita is a real bonus for me. and fiding the Buzz feature on kayak is a bonus too.

I wouldn't mind London at all, but I'm on a real budget, and I don't think London would be a good destination for cheap sleeps.

W9, it's Christmas I'm thinking about... an expensive time.

travelgourmet, I don't mind searching the cities individually. Now that I know the site, I can spend time on it.

Thanks everyone.
May 20th, 2008, 02:38 PM

If you use Priceline, you can usually get into a 4-star hotel in London for $100 or less. I'm staying at the Holiday Inn Kensington Forum this weekend for $105 a night. Of course, this makes a lot more sense if you are traveling as a pair. Solo, that is still pretty steep.

All in all, I don't think London is as expensive as its reputation. Thinking back to some other places I have been to recently, I find it roughly comparable to Paris or Amsterdam. A bit more than Berlin. Cheaper than Copenhagen or Oslo. More expensive than Brussels and Brugge.
May 20th, 2008, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks travelgourmet. I'm a big user of Priceline in North America, but have not had occasion to use it in Europe. I would certainly use it for where ever I end up going.

$100 for London is pretty darn good.
May 21st, 2008, 08:50 AM

Maybe you'll find a slightly cheaper fare if you fly ON Christmas day (You'll usually find fairly empty airports/aircrafts). Though I do NOT recommend you arriving in London ON Christmas day as there will be very little public transportation available and most thing would be closed. Christmas Eve or Boxing Day is better.

Search this Thread