Is LAN the only airline to Cuzco?

Jul 19th, 2009, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

Is LAN the only airline to Cuzco?

We're considering using up some AA miles to get to Lima in the next couple of months before moving out of the hemisphere. Hoping to work in a budget trip to Cuzco for 3 (two adults, one toddler just under 2) but just from LIM to CUZ is over a $1000 USD, even with her on our lap.

Is there a cheaper solution that doesn't involve multi-day bus rides? Would be open to a different approach than through Lima if necessary and not too crazy.

Thanks,
Cliff
Jul 19th, 2009, 11:47 AM

There is a LANPass that perhaps u can use since you are flying on AA. (LAN & AA are partners) Not sure if it will apply since u r using miles on AA. It's certainly worth looking into. There r other airlines 2 fly internal, Star 4 1, but I can't recall the others. If u do a search on this board u will find them. My recollection was that the airfares were all within close range pricewise of each other. Some a little less expensive, but not dramtically so. There used to be talk about some agent who could get flights internal in Peru 4 less. Trip Advisor had a lot of posts on that, so u might try over there if Fodor's does provide u what u need.
Jul 19th, 2009, 02:08 PM

LAN is not the only airline flying this route, but I've read horror stories about some of the other airlines. LAN is supposed to be one of the better airlines in SA. I've been on LAN and found them to be quite good. I know it is cheaper to book with a local travel agent, so search on these forums, to find a Peru based agent.
Jul 19th, 2009, 02:53 PM

We flew from Lima to Cuzco earlier this year, and in planning our trip, we found that the price of a LAN ticket purchased in Peru is much cheaper than buying from abroad.

We had hired a guide for a part of our trip (we were in Cuzco and then headed south to Puno)and he purchased the tickets for us before we came ... the price was amazingly less expensive. I think it was almost two thirds less.

If you have any way of having someone there buy your tickets ahead of time for you, that might be the solution.
Jul 19th, 2009, 06:18 PM

Taca and Star Peru fly the route too.

www.starperu.com

www.taca.com
Jul 19th, 2009, 09:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your replies. I'd come across Star Peru after I posted, but wasn't sure how stable or reliable they were.

The idea of the internal agency makes sense and I've been looking at a couple that seem like they could help, either for LAN and non-LAN flights. I think we may be able to pull this off. I've seen $365 now for the 3 of us.

Very helpful, thanks to you all.

Search this Thread