Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Is it too late for a decent fare Atlanta 2 Seattle July 2 to meet a cruise?

Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 09:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NCL cruise July 2-9 with large family group. We were planning to fly to Seattle a day before, but cannot find flights or hotel rooms. I'm getting a bit panicked---family travel agent wanted to book our flights last August (04) for this July (05) and I said no, thanks, too early and expensive. But I've been watching flights, which never went down, and now they are scarce and more expensive! Any suggestions, anyone???

Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 09:36 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Well I'm seeing plane fares in the $320 range, which doesn't seem all that punishing.

As for hotels, depends on your wants - you can always get something cheaply at the airport; if you want downtown 4-stars it will be harder.

Prowl the forums at cruisecritic.com - lots of notes on Seattle hotel solutions.
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Gardyloo. I have been to cruisecritic but didn't think to check out the Seattll-hotel problem, I was too busy reeling from the shock of the bad reviews of the cruise we are taking (NCL Spirit). Ship and itinerary selected by in-laws cclebrating 50th anniversary and price/length dictated by several children and family groups.
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 06:07 AM

How many hotel rooms do you think you'll need?

In our (okay, only 3 so far) cruise history we have yet to see the "reviews" turn out to be much of an indicator on how the cruise actually went. I wouldn't be overly worried.

Consult the Fodors site here, also tripadvisor.com for user ratings on various accommodations. With a big group you might look at one of the "suite" places and hiring a van or a couple of cars. Check out the Residence Inn on Lake Union, or the Silver Cloud Inn at their Lake Union, University Village or Capitol Hill locations. Nice regional chain with roomy accommodations.
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 09:48 AM

Boy kwsl, I wish you could talk to my friends who are waiting to book air for our Jan 06 cruise out of Fort Lauderdale. Since we booked our air about a month ago (using Alaska companion coupon so price wasn't too much of a worry), the price has gone up by $90 pp. Even though there are several who have advised me that it's best for them to wait til later this summer for that time frame, I'm concerned that prices will not come down with fuel skyrocketing like it is. But I could be wrong (hopefully for my friends' sake - and pocketbooks!)

And I'm not sure whether you will have a car in Seattle, but if so, many good Priceline deals can be had down by the airport and Renton, which on a good day, are less than 1/2 an hour from DT Seattle.
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Chips, and Gardyloo again. I made American reservations today that weren't bad, $328 RT with one connection in Dallas. The direct flights were as low as $278 two months ago. It seems that cruise connections are examples of flights whose low price dips occur before 6 months prior. There is some site that will show you historical prices over a 12-month period for popular routes, and I wish I could remember what it is. I would have snatched the $278 fares because apparently that's a good solid low.

One good thing is that I am taking my youngest son back to Washington in August for the World Go Congress in Tacoma, via Park City, Utah. I'm ready to buy those tickets now and not wait!
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 03:09 PM

Fuel surcharges probably have added the difference in the meantime too. Anyone who expects the price trend line in the airline industry to have a downward slope in the near term is a few fries short of a happy meal.
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 03:51 PM

Kswl, I'm still unclear where you are flying from.

So gardyloo, sounds as if you're in the corner that perhaps says buy now? The response to my question has been about 60/40 or maybe 70/30 towards buying when you see a "decent" price - I know typically a trip between SEA-south Florida can be had for $200 or even less, but I'm not so sure this year.
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 05:12 PM
Original Poster

Sorry, we're flying out of Atlanta, the airport nearest our rural Georgia town. Yes, Gardyloo, I am the one sans french fries, or at least I was. I am now thinking I should already have begun checking rates for late 2005 and 2006 trips to Germany and Japan. We missed a fabulous February fare to Tokyo, just under $500, but we were just too tired.