Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   Is it possible to do something special for a family through the airlines? (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/is-it-possible-to-do-something-special-for-a-family-through-the-airlines-253226/)

Eva Aug 26th, 2002 01:41 PM

Is it possible to do something special for a family through the airlines?

Because of Sept 11th, wasn't sure if we could do something like this so I decided to present it to this wonderful board for some wonderful ideas.<BR><BR>We have a family in our small town who will be traveling in November to phoenix. This is their first family vacation since 1992 due to major health problems with the father. Now that he is fully recovered, they are taking a much needed family vacation. A few of us friends wanted to send something to or maybe have the airline FA bring them a cake or something like this to acknowledge them for what they have been through and this trip. They are flying Alaska when they go. Appreciate any and all ideas/suggestions that this wonderful board can pass along.<BR><BR>Eva

kkj Aug 26th, 2002 02:10 PM

It might be easier to have something waiting for them at the first hotel. Just find out where they are and have something delivered.

Statia Aug 27th, 2002 05:05 PM

I agree with kkj. I would worry about an airline coming thru on a pre-purchased gift (i.e. a day pass to their frequent flyer lounge). Airlines have many employees and are so busy, I would stick with having a gift waiting upon their arrival. There are also so many more options going that route.<BR><BR>Good luck.<BR>

Munch Aug 28th, 2002 05:14 AM

I assume you called the airline (Alaska? NW?) itself and asked what is possible. You can't be the first person to have wanted to treat someone this way.<BR><BR>My guess is you might get the flight crew to welcome the family aboard by name and wish them a good trip during the pre-takeoff briefing or shortly after take-off, since that doesn't involve bringing any THING on board. The idea of a free-bie to the lounge might be good but not if your airport doesn't have one and not if they have a short connection on the way to Alaska.<BR><BR>Otherwise, maybe something waiting at the airport at the other end or at their hotel might be best.<BR><BR>Finally, when the trip is over, it will be a let-down for them, but not if you and your friends have thought up something really nice to greet them when they get back.

sister Aug 28th, 2002 05:35 AM

What a "meet and greet" service upon arrival in Alaska? You know..kind of like a flower lei when you land in Hawaii?!

xxx Aug 28th, 2002 09:48 AM

Please re-read the original posting: the family in question will be vacationing in Phoenix, flying with Alaskan Air.<BR><BR>Do a search on the Internet for the Phoenix board of Commerce and/or the Phoenix Tourism Board. Send them an e-mail outlining what you just explained here and ask them if they could suggest somthing that could be arranged for this family in Phoenix from your end. <BR><BR>Don't expect any freebies, but you can ask if they have discount coupons, etc.. Also ask for maps, pamphlets & area guides and put together a "going away" package.

Oye Vay Aug 28th, 2002 07:20 PM

WILL PEOPLE EVER STOP BLAMING EVERYTHING ON SEPT 11TH FOR CRYIN' OUT LOUD! ("Because of Sep 11th...)

open Aug 28th, 2002 08:36 PM

Oye Vay:<BR><BR>Where do you read that anyone was placing blame?<BR><BR>Eva was simply inquiring about procedures that have indeed changed since the events of last Sept.<BR><BR>I suggest reading the posting before responding.

john Aug 30th, 2002 05:01 PM

The nicest thing may be a flight that is not oversold and one that departs and arrives on time.<BR><BR>I would definately go with a gift at the hotel. Airlines are just too undependable.

COresBoy Aug 30th, 2002 07:35 PM

You are so right, John. The airlines have more to do than run little errands everywhere for the traveller and cater to their every need.