Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   Is Delta SkyMiles program still worth it? (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/is-delta-skymiles-program-still-worth-it-342883/)

scrb Apr 13th, 2008 05:26 PM

Is Delta SkyMiles program still worth it?

Have a bunch of SkyMiles.

I've been Gold Medallion the past two years.

Have an award ticket for this May to Italy.

Now Delta has a sale where I can get double MQM miles. One ticket to Italy would qualify me for Silver Medallion.

Tempting but then I thought about the merger, which will probably limit awards. Delta also rolled out new award levels for at least domestic awards, which makes the SkySaver awards more limited. Or at least appear that way.

Now I wonder if it's worth continuing to accumulate miles and status. All flights are horribly overpriced this year, at least 50% by my calculation.

And I don't see other programs which are much better.

It just doesn't seem to make sense flying overseas to gain status. Maybe it never did.

rkkwan Apr 13th, 2008 07:50 PM

Miles maybe worthing less and less, but elite status is as important as ever.

dutyfree Apr 13th, 2008 08:37 PM

Flights are "overpriced" because oil is overpriced and inventory is full for all of the international airlines.

travelgourmet Apr 13th, 2008 11:22 PM

I still think Delta is a good program. If you have made Gold in the past, could you leverage the MQM promotion to make Platinum?

Personally, I chase SkyTeam status because I fly across the pond at least 4-6 times each year in coach. Having access to the exit rows on an NW A330 is reason enough for status.

clevelandbrown Apr 14th, 2008 07:21 AM

When I first traveled, the cost of the plane was by far the largest expense of the trip. I even developed the habit of taking longer trips to spread the airfare cost over more days. I still make my trips at least two or three weeks, but only because of habit (and the vacation days lost in transit).

Today, the cost of the plane is well down the list, below the cost of housing, and even of food.

So today, airline fares are edging up, but I think that they are hardly horribly overpriced. If they were, why would so many people still be traveling?

dba31498 Apr 14th, 2008 08:03 AM

Being medallion and sticking with the program is worth it. I am set to make a trip in a couple of days on Delta and since I am medallion, They sent me an email informing me that I have been upgraded. It does pay to be a customer.

scrb Apr 14th, 2008 10:24 AM

Yeah I did some searches and found that two trips by the end of June with the double MQM promotion will net me Gold for a lot less than last year, even through the individual fares are higher.

So I guess I'll do it again, not knowing what will happen with the merger and the restructuring of the SkyMiles program.

rkkwan Apr 14th, 2008 10:42 AM

I don't think there should be any big change for SkyMiles or DL's Medallion status qualifaction. Well, except for a CO-UA merger and CO leaving Skyteam for *A.