Notices

Is Delta Airlines Best for Family Travel?

Old May 28th, 2020, 11:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is Delta Airlines Best for Family Travel?

Hello,

I am looking to travel Newyork after this lockdown from New Delhi, India. I hear about delta airlines, one of the top airlines in the USA. Please share your Air travel experience and thoughts.
Old May 30th, 2020, 06:26 AM

I don't find the major airlines that different myself, I always book just based on best itinerary and price, that's all. Delta is fine, they just tend not to have the hub in the US and routes that work best for me, so I mainly use United (and Southwest domestically). To be honest, I prefer United internationally as they have much better deals on seat upgrades, you can get economy plus for a lot less on their airline. That may not matter to you if you don't intend to do that anyway. I'd just go with price and itinerary, as long as it's a major brand name (and considering the airport for connection).

AS far as I can tell, Delta does not fly from DEL so you may be asking the wrong question. It appears only KLM or AF do, so even if you are buying through Delta, the experience is not Delta. As a word of advice, unless there is some big price advantage, I would advise NEVER to book through an airline that is not the one actually flying the plane (a codeshare) as you may run into problems picking seats, etc. Just don't do it without a good reason.

I'm not a fan of KLM, I really don't like their planes on the routes I've taken, but AMS is a reasonable airport to change planes, so they've got that advantage Looks like could be Delta from AMS to JFK, though. Unless a good reason, I'd avoid AF going through CDG. Looks like Delta codeshares with Virgin, which I didn't know, and I do like that airline. You'd have to transfer through LHR though which may not be fun, you'd have to check connections.

I think your real choices are BA, Virgin, AF or KLM, Lufthansa or Italia (which I would avoid). American is really BA flights. Transferring in Germany works for me, but when I've flown that route, it was on a United plane, not Lufthansa, so I can't comment on them.

Old May 31st, 2020, 03:16 PM

I fly Delta all the time and much prefer them over American or United. For long flights, I look at what kind of plane though as I find certain planes more comfortable and certain seating configuration preferable. All airlines have a variety of planes on their various routes so it isn't as if you can simply select Air France DEL/JFK and expect the same experience if they have multiple departures featuring different planes.

*** As a word of advice, unless there is some big price advantage, I would advise NEVER to book through an airline that is not the one actually flying the plane (a codeshare) as you may run into problems picking seats, etc. ***

Isn't that really more of an issue for FF's tickets selecting a class of seat such as Delta Comfort + vs Air France premium? They are not the same class of seat/service so those FF's seats in the past didn't stick. Delta has now added their own premium level on some routes though.

What type of tickets were you planning to book? Some of the cheapest tickets don't allow seat selection.