Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   Is $746.00 a good deal to Europe Round-Trip? (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/is-746-00-a-good-deal-to-europe-round-trip-1551887/)

wally34949 Nov 23rd, 2017 11:58 AM

Is $746.00 a good deal to Europe Round-Trip?

I just booked a ticket round-trip from Nice, France to Miami and Miami to Bucharest, Romania, leaving Europe on July 4 and returning to Europe on Sept. 4.

Eight years ago I had enough miles with British Airways to get to Europe on BA but they had no returning flights available. One-way tickets to Europe can be very expensive, so I booked a ticket from Europe to Florida and Florida back to Europe for September.

If you go to Europe twice a year or more, I would recommend this strategy. I'm on the Lufthansa Airbus A380 from Miami to Frankfurt, which, according to "Seat Guru" offers more width in economy than any other airline.

I spent 30 minutes with United on the phone, and the best they could offer me was $1,600. I booked the ticket on United.com website. Unless I get a message in the next 24 hours, this is not fake news.

wally34949 Nov 25th, 2017 04:32 AM

I cancelled the flight. Everyone has 24-hours to cancel a flight. The reason, I would not be earning any miles with a K Class ticket.

I just rebooked. I will be returning with United from Frankfurt to Newark and Miami in economy. I will be returning with Lufthansa in Business Class on the Airbus A380. The total price is now $1,742.00

My flight from Miami to Bucharest is in P class so I will be earning some serious PQM and PQD.

But $746.00 is a great deal if you are not concerned about earning miles.

thursdaysd Nov 25th, 2017 06:15 AM

It is not clear what you are doing. Are you booking return trips and only taking the first leg?

wally34949 Nov 25th, 2017 07:10 AM

I book my flights like I live in Europe. I visit Europe twice a year. I fly over to Europe on a return ticket, and I fly back to Florida on a new ticket. Does that help?

thursdaysd Nov 25th, 2017 07:26 AM

No. Do you use both halves of the return ticket? Did you use a single some time back, and now use both halves of the returns, with one left over for next year? Or do you junk the return half?

wally34949 Nov 25th, 2017 09:41 AM

I always use the return ticket to get over to Europe. A ticket can only be purchased 11 months in advance so this works best if you go to Europe twice a year. This has saved me a lot of money over the years because June, July and August are considered high season in Europe and prices to Europe go crazy. Avoiding Paris and Rome in the summer and going to Bucharest probably saved me some money, too.

thursdaysd Nov 25th, 2017 10:20 AM

Got it. I mostly use FF miles which now are "priced" for one way, and I try to avoid high season, but will keep this in mind.

MoBro Nov 26th, 2017 11:59 AM

Wow. I would have given up the miles to save $1000.

Sassafrass Nov 26th, 2017 08:48 PM

Wally, I have done similar. Sometimes it works very well.
We had cheap standby flights to Italy, but not coming back and we had to be back in the States by a certain date. We had to fly home from Milan. We knew we would be going to Ireland five months later. We couldn't get multi-city, so bought RT, Milan to States and back to Milan, then got a cheap Ryan air from Milan to Dublin. It was perfect and cheap. From Ireland we got a cheap one way home.
It seems convoluted, but really is not, just flights booked in reverse of how we usually think.

miriamg37 Dec 19th, 2017 06:31 PM

Only $746.00 for a round trip ticket? Great price

starrs Dec 23rd, 2017 06:23 AM

Really great price for a round trip ticket!