Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Is 55 minutes enough time to connect a flight in Amsterdam Airport?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17th, 2010, 05:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am flying from Portland and arriving at Amsterdam at 11:35am. My next flight to Basel departs at 12:30pm, which is only 55 minutes.... Do you think i will be able to make it???? If i don't make it what will happen????
Old Nov 17th, 2010, 06:55 AM

Hustle and you have a chance. Look at the maps ahead of time so that you are aware of the layout. Look for the short connection line at passport control. And keep moving.

It is possible, but it is pretty darn tight.

If you miss it, assuming that you are connecting from Delta to KLM, and it is all on one ticket, then KLM will put you on the next available flight.
Old Nov 17th, 2010, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

My first flight is KLM and my second is Air France. and yes this is all on one ticket
Old Nov 17th, 2010, 07:39 AM

The ticket may say KLM, but if you are flying from Portland to Amsterdam (with no intervening stops), then you will be on a Delta plane.

Regardless, if you miss the connection, you should be accommodated on the next available flight. Follow the tips above, keep your fingers crossed that your gates aren't that far apart) and hopefully you won't need it.
Old Nov 17th, 2010, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much!!! I will run as fast as i can!!!
Old Nov 17th, 2010, 08:12 AM

Hannah, We flew from Portland to Amsterdam last May and had only an hour and a half to catch our connecting flight to Prague. We had no problem making it, but one piece of luggage did not. We also had to confirm our flight to Prague at a KLM kiosk, even though it was on the same ticket, because it was the day after we flew out of Portland. I think 45 minutes is really minimal, and it is very possible that either you or your luggage won't make it because Schiphol, although very efficient, is also very big. It is true, however, that you will just be put on the next available flight and our missing luggage did arrive that night. Just be sure to study the logistics of Schiphol beforehand and don't waste any time while there.
Old Nov 17th, 2010, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

OK if I run and check out the map before, I will hopefully make it
I hope I won't have luggage problems... Glad to hear that you got your luggage that night though I am going to call the airline company to confirm my flight a couple days before my trip but I must confirm again???? By the way if I miss my flight, what will happen to my luggage??? Will they just have it at luggage claim???
Old Nov 17th, 2010, 10:54 AM

what are your flights? I quickly looked at a schedule and saw no flights from Portland (ME? OR?) arriving at 11:35.

btw, the next flight to Bâle is at 8.45pm.
Old Nov 17th, 2010, 11:12 AM

<i>what are your flights? I quickly looked at a schedule and saw no flights from Portland (ME? OR?) arriving at 11:35.</i>

DL 178. PDX-AMS, non-stop.
Old Nov 17th, 2010, 11:19 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
The problem is not the 55 mins. BUT rather if your 1st flight leaves late, or arrives late, or has delays in getting an available gate to deplane. You really have not left yourself any 'wiggle' rooms for any of these possible delays.
Old Nov 17th, 2010, 12:33 PM

I wouldn't risk it, but that's just me.

Do you have any other options for flights? I'd happily take a 3 or 4 hour layover instead of worrying about a connection of under 1 hour. If you miss your connection, are there other flights out that same day/night? Look at your travel dates... is it a very popular time of year like Thanksgiving or Christmas/New Years? If you miss a connection, they often consider you like a standby passenger and if it's a busy season there may not be a seat open on the next flight, or the next... for a day or two.

If your second flight is a common route then it's likely that you would be able to catch a seat pretty easily. If it's a one or two flight per day route, then it'll be more risky. Where is your seat on the first flight? If you're at the front of the plane, you'll exit a good 5-10 minutes before the people at the back of the plane. Also, how fast do you walk/jog? Are you comfortable running through an airport if needed or are you limited to a walk?

Are you traveling carryon only or checking a bag? If you're checking a bag, don't expect it to make the connection. It'll follow you, but it could take a few days to catch up. Pack all meds, camera stuff, etc in your carryon and pack enough clothes/toiletries for a few days at least.
Old Nov 17th, 2010, 01:35 PM

Posted on another thread:
My flight last week landed at terminal G in AMS and my next flight departed from B (DL/KLM). The gate agent said G was an unusual gate for them, but it happens. I was seated in the first economy section of the Airbus with 1.75 hr connection time. I walked fast from one to the other, went through passport control and security (take those plastic bags and computers out again) and had time just to visit the restroom before boarding the bus out to our plane. My bag did not make the connection. The next flight was 4 hours later, but my bag was delivered to my hotel 8 hours later.

Returning my transfer was from D to E, I think, with 1.75 hrs. When I checked in, the agent put a priority tag on my bag when she saw the connection time. Again, I walked briskly upon arrival at AMS (seated in fourth row of aircraft), stood in long passport control line, and arrived at my gate with the US screening already underway. I had about 15-20 minutes of wait time before boarding when I was not in a line, being screened, etc.
My bag made the connection.
Old Nov 17th, 2010, 06:20 PM

Oh yeah, one nice aspect of AMS is the overhead signs that give an estimate of how long to walk to...I think the first one I saw from G to B or A the other day listed 55 minutes or something like that. I don't know how/if they factor in the passport/security wait.
Old Nov 17th, 2010, 08:50 PM
Original Poster

I'm a 19 year old girl so I should be pretty good at running I will only have my carry on with me. I think my luggage will be sent straight to Basel. I already reserved the ticket because I was in a rush I remember another flight 8 hours after my flight. I thought if I have to wait for 8 hours, I guess I will risk it. Bad decision I guess And I don't know where my seats are for the first flight yet It says "Seats assignment upon check -in" I'm really worried now If my first plane delays... oh well, too bad Where would I go to try to get on the next flight???
Old Nov 17th, 2010, 08:54 PM
Original Poster

But I don't think they will offer this Itinerary if it's not meant to be made on time.... or am I wrong....
Old Nov 17th, 2010, 09:24 PM

<i>My flight last week landed at terminal G in AMS and my next flight departed from B (DL/KLM).</i>

This is a particularly long walk. If you do land at G, then yes, 55 minutes may be too tight, but all you can do is hope.

<i>I don't know how/if they factor in the passport/security wait.</i>

As noted, keep an eye out for the short-connection line. Coming from the US, I believe the line is to your left as you approach passport control. There will be someone there, and if your connection is that tight (and I think a 55 minute connection will qualify), then they will let you skip the line. IIRC, they also allow SkyTeam Elite Plus passengers, as well as business class passengers, to skip the line. Wish I could be more certain, but I haven't connected in AMS in a couple of months.

FWIW, the flight to Basel will almost certainly depart from D. This means that, after passport control and security, walk straight ahead and take a left just before the Starbucks. Turn left again and head up stairs to the D gates.

This is a tight connection, sure, but given the schedule, I'd certainly risk it. The only other option is to sit around all day, which isn't very palatable either. Going with any other carrier adds a second connection and at least 2-1/2 hours to the trip. Even then, several of the Lufthansa connections, for example, feature sub-one hour connections at ORD and relatively short connections at FRA or MUC. The only alternative that offers 'better' connections, without adding 4 or more hours to the trip, would be going with Alaska and Air France, via Seattle and Paris, and this is still over 2 hours longer and adds the risks of an extra connection. IMO, it is worth the risk to take this schedule.

If you are lucky, you will get to hear your name on the famous AMS announcement system, "Paging passenger Hannah_Imakura, you are delaying the flight, please proceed to gate xxx, or we will proceed to offload your luggage." I've had the honor once. Quite thrilling to hear your name on the loudspeaker.
Old Nov 17th, 2010, 09:32 PM

<i>But I don't think they will offer this Itinerary if it's not meant to be made on time.... or am I wrong....</i>

No, you are not wrong. This is above the minimum connection time set by KLM, so they expect you to make it. The airline doesn't want you to miss the flight. You don't want to miss your flight. As long as you both work together, you can make it.

I think that some folks confuse feeling rushed with a heightened risk of missing the flight. Feeling rushed may not be fun, but it doesn't mean you will miss your flight. I've felt rushed before and then ended up twiddling my thumbs at the gate for what seemed like an eternity. If the majority of people with such connections actually missed their flights, then KLM would increase the minimum connection time, as the costs of rerouting misconnected passengers are so high.
Old Nov 18th, 2010, 05:08 AM

For 8 hours, I'd probably have chosen to try the quick turn around too!

There's a pretty good chance that your bag won't make your flight so remember to have enough in your carry on to get you through a day or two for clothes and all of your meds, camera stuff, etc. Ask the agent when you check in if they can put a "priority" or "short connection" type tag on your bag. Sometimes they will, sometimes they won't, but it doesn't hurt to ask. If your bag doesn't make it to Basel, then once they're done loading bags onto the carousel and you're sure yours isn't on there, then go to the lost luggage desk for your airline. Basically find someone who works at the airport and ask where you should go if you don't find it easily in the luggage area. Once you tell them that your bag is lost and show them the little bar code tag from the check in agent, they'll work with you on getting your bag to you. It will probably come in on that next flight and they'll have someone take it to your hotel. If your bag does make your connection, then happy surprise.

If you miss your connection, talk to the gate agent about rebooking. Sometimes it also works to call the airline customer service number and they can get you rebooked as well. If you know that you're going to miss it (i.e. your first flight leaves 90 minutes late) ask your flight attendant for information on what you should do. They won't be able to rebook you, but they can probably help direct you to where you need to go. If you get confused or you're not sure what to do, just ask anyone who works for your airline or at the airport if you're lost.

<<<But I don't think they will offer this Itinerary if it's not meant to be made on time.... or am I wrong....>>>

It's enough time that if everything goes smoothly, then you should be fine so the airline offers it. I'm just so used to things NOT going smoothly that I plan in extra time for that. I'm used to delays departing out of my regional airport due to snowstorms, thunderstorms, ice, heavy fog, maintenance, etc and then delays going through Chicago, so I just assume that at least one of my flights will not be on time.
Old Nov 18th, 2010, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for all this help!!! I am so happy I was just super stressed about this connection that all I can think of is missing my flight... Since I have all these tips I think I have a bigger chance of making it I just hope that my flight won't land on a far gate or be delayed By the way the chance of getting my baggage lost is that big!?!?!?! I am going to my friend's house in Germany which is about a hour away from Basel but will they still deliver my luggage there if it gets lost????
Old Nov 18th, 2010, 06:36 AM

<i>By the way the chance of getting my baggage lost is that big!?!?!?!</i>

I believe that the European airlines tend to mishandle about 10 bags for every 1,000 passengers, so I would say that your chances are not that high. I have not had a bag mishandled in about 2 years, and I fly roughly 150k miles each year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -