Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   iPad on flight without Wi-Fi. What do I do? Pre-load entertainment? (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/ipad-on-flight-without-wi-fi-what-do-i-do-pre-load-entertainment-891245/)

ciaony May 17th, 2011 07:04 PM

iPad on flight without Wi-Fi. What do I do? Pre-load entertainment?

Hello everyone,
I'm booked on a flight from NY to Rome and will only have wi-fi while over the continental U.S.

The fact that this is still going on in 2011 is its own conversation, but what are you other iPad/laptop users doing for unconnected entertainment?

Missyrose May 17th, 2011 07:31 PM

Hi :) For my transatlantic flight in a few weeks I'm planning to load a ton of movies, episodes of TV shows to go along with the games, magazines and music I already have on there. I'll have a few books on there too, but if I'm going to read for any length of time, I'll probably use my Kindle instead.

Hope this helps!

mjz_kc May 18th, 2011 05:18 PM

I just returned from Europe, and did the exact same thing as Missyrose. Actually made the flight in coach bearable.

gh21 May 18th, 2011 06:06 PM

You should download any TV programs before you leave US. I tried downloading an ABC show while in France via WiFi in our hotel and got a message that licensing agreements did not allow download outside of US!

abram May 18th, 2011 06:47 PM

My goal would be to sleep though as much of the flight as possible.

abram May 18th, 2011 06:47 PM

My goal would be to sleep though as much of the flight as possible.

flgirl0817 May 21st, 2011 07:51 AM

I will be traveling to China from JFK with my IPhone (I don't have an IPad) and will load a few movies to watch because the airline that I am flying does not have individual entertainment screens.

ciaony May 23rd, 2011 12:12 PM

Thanks, all. I guess we're still doing it the old-fashioned way. You would think Wi-Fi on international flights, even for a fee, would be a given by now.

doug_stallings May 24th, 2011 12:59 PM

Even when Wi-Fi is offered on planes, the signal isn't really enough to support streaming. If more than 1 or 2 people on the plane try, the system can get clogged up. If you really want to watch movies, read books, etc., then you have to do load everything onto your ipad in advance.

CarolA May 25th, 2011 09:24 AM

I agree with Doug, you cannot stream entertainment on the planes Wi Fi. It's really only good for basic internet browsing.

rkkwan May 30th, 2011 05:55 PM

The data has to get to the plane somehow. Domestically, land-based system can provide sufficient bandwidth with reasonable cost. For international flights, only solution is satellite-based. That means very high cost and limited bandwidth.

Google "Connexion by Boeing".

You'd "think" it's a simple process.

ciaony May 31st, 2011 03:50 AM

All I know is 42 years ago we put a man on the moon....or so they say:-)

rkkwan May 31st, 2011 09:08 AM

And today's planes fly at the same speed as 50 years ago.

ciaony May 31st, 2011 01:27 PM

Does that drive you crazy, too??!!

JoeScro Jun 2nd, 2011 08:39 AM

If you can sleep then the flight is not as long.

robinpow Jun 4th, 2011 06:28 PM

If you are flying first class, just watch their movies for free. However if you are in the back of the bus...

There is only one way to pull this off... download before you leave and leave your WiFi off.

First off as mentioned, you may not have the bandwidth needed. Also if you try to stream from most websites, as soon as the pick up your IP isn't in the U.S., they will cut you off.

When you download from Apple, you agree to use in the U.S. However, if it's on your ipad/laptop, and it's not connected to the net, they have no way of knowing where you were when you viewed it. Rentals are good for 30 days, or until you start to watch it. So just plan ahead, and download enough for the whole trip.

sf7307 Jun 4th, 2011 07:31 PM

Where does it say you can only use downloaded products in the USA? I just perused the terms of service and saw no such restriction.