Into Amsterdam

Feb 5th, 2008, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Into Amsterdam

My wife has an opportunity to attend a conference in Amsterdam this August and I'm looking into the options.

If you could choose any airline(s) to get there, which would you choose and why ?

We are closest to Buf, Cle & Pit but understand that (usually) best fares are out of NYC (or maybe Toronto which is bit closer than NYC.

Really appreciate your input !
Thanks

Feb 5th, 2008, 04:18 PM

I can't recommend because mine was a nightmare. I traveled the week after the London terror threat that lead to all these new wonderful security rules, through Heathrow .... just my dumb luck.

But, I would recommend the following:

Try for Non-Stop, or at least that the stop is in the US. My biggest nightmare was BA losing my luggage (for a 2 week cruise) and me finally going back to the airport and searching myself for it after 2 days. 4 1/2 hours later after seeing more lost luggage than one could imagine, I found both my pieces, almost at the last possible minute. I was never compensated either, BA outsources their baggage service there.

Try to arrive in the AM, much easier than arriving near midnight, as was my case

Avoid Heathrow

Avoid British Airways

Have a phone number to contact your ground transportation, Having it was a lifesaver as it got to be after midnight quickly and I was about 7 hours late for my scheduled pick-up. I had to keep calling, (well, actually had some nice dutch people helping me, because of the language)

And if there is time, try a canal boat ride.

Sorry for the rambling, it's a very touchy subject with me. I really did love Amsterdam, though and want to go back sometime
Feb 6th, 2008, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

Oh, do I feel stupid ! I found out this morning that the conference is actually in Copenhagen, not Amsterdam.

Sorry about your misfortune, but thanks for your reply.

Search this Thread