COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Intl. to Intl. Connection (SJO-EWR-MUC) w/o Immigration

Old Mar 16th, 2020, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

Does anybody konw if I have to go through immigration when connection in EWR?`

I fly in from Costa Rica with a German Passport and fly to Munic. Both United Airlines. I have not been in Europe in the past 14 days.

Thank you
Old Mar 16th, 2020, 10:22 AM

Yes. You have to clear immigration at U.S. airports, even if you're connecting to another international flight.
Old Mar 16th, 2020, 04:41 PM
J62

Unfortunately for transiting passengers like yourself the US does not have the capability you are asking for. If you are traveling soon then you should anticipate hours long delay to get through US immigration. From what I've read it's been a horrible mess since the US announced the travel restrictions from Europe., and the British isles are added to that list starting tomorrow.

The other concern I would have is you flight to MUC getting cancelled. Things are changing daily so one never knows.
Old Mar 17th, 2020, 04:56 AM

Let me ask this too: When is your flight? Costa Rica will close all ports of entry to foreigners tomorrow night (March 18) with the ban being in effect for a month. You can leave without any restrictions.That part is fine. I imagine United will have to greatly reduce its flight schedule TO Costa Rica, since no foreigners will be allowed to take those flights. That will mean its flights FROM Costa Rica will be fewer in number too. Keep checking schedules for both flights..