Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   International flight connection in US (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/international-flight-connection-in-us-371171/)

Miramar Jun 2nd, 2008 01:00 PM

International flight connection in US

Hopefully someone here can answer my question. If one is taking a flight on Continental to connect to a Singapore Air flight in Newark (BOS- EWR, EWR- Singapore), will they check his passport in Boston or in Newark? I've never connected for an international flight before in the US-- only connected abroad so I'm not sure. Basically, what he wants to know is does his flight from BOS to EWR count as part of the international portion so that he needs to check in 2hrs early or if they consider the international part only starting at EWR, so he can check in later in BOS. As far as I know Continental and Singapore Air are not partners in any alliance if that makes a difference.
Thanks.

rkkwan Jun 2nd, 2008 01:55 PM

Continental's agent at BOS may spend a little more time to confirm the SQ portion of the trip in order to check bags through to SIN. They are likely to check the passport.

SQ at EWR will definitely check the passport when issuing the boarding pass.

You don't need to be at BOS 2 hours early. But minimum is one hour or the checked bags won't be flying with you. If you don't have checked bags, then you only have to be checked-in for CO 30 minutes early (should be able to do online check-in too) and show up at the gate 15 minutes before departure.

J62 Jun 2nd, 2008 04:01 PM

Is this issued by a travel agent or airline as one ticket BOS-EWR-SIN or were separate tickets purchased for each portion?

If it's the latter then you have thing to consider.

It wouldn't change the fact that BOS-EWR is a regular domestic flight, but it would mean you need to be cognizant of SingAir checkin times at Newark, and also be sure to inform CO checkin at BOS that bags go through to SIN.

kayd Jun 3rd, 2008 06:32 AM

Rkkwan is a more experienced Continental travlelr than I am, so I do not question his info about that airline, but my experience with other airlines has been different.
When starting an international trip with a domestic segment in the U.S. I've been treated as an international passenger for the entire trip, with bag check, passport scanning, and boarding passes issued for both segments being done at the first airport, and only a glance at passport and boarding card by the agent at the time of boarding the international flight.

Just a warning to other travelers that practices may vary by airline and airport and not to assume that domestic flight shortcuts (internet check in, self serve kiosks, curbside bag check, etc.) will be available to passengers begining an international trip with a domestic egment.

Miramar Jun 3rd, 2008 06:46 AM

Thanks all. The tickets were issued all together-- on the same itinerary by a corporate travel agency.
I'm going to try and ask Continental as well to see what they say.

rkkwan Jun 3rd, 2008 07:04 AM

CO is not a partner with SQ, so they can't check-in your SQ flight for you or issue the SQ boarding pass. All they can do for you is tag your bags to SIN. You need to obtain your SQ BPs from SQ, which is at Terminal B at EWR. So you need to get out of the secured area, ride the AirTrain, and go to SQ counter there at Terminal B.

As for BOS, since what you have is an international bag, you'll have to have it checked at least an hour prior to departure, not 30 minutes. And you will need to get a live person to help you rather than just using a kiosk to finish much of the process.