In-flight meal question

Feb 9th, 2006, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

In-flight meal question

How do I order vegetarian low calorie low cholesterol low fat low sodium meal?
Feb 9th, 2006, 03:56 PM

Snide answer: Bag of carrots from the grocery store.

Snider answer: Wine is food.

Straight answer: Phone the airline. Keep expectations low.
Feb 9th, 2006, 04:31 PM

FA - Are you serious? Isn't that what most domestic airlines are serving already?

Anyways, if you're serious, then it's best to first check the airline's website to see if they list the options. For example, Continental has its list of special meals that can be ordered. With the cost cutting by many airlines, the list may not be as comprehensive as years before.

Often, the phone agent may know very little. It's therefore helpful to do some homework first. Looking at Continental's list as an example, I think your choices are basically "Vegan (Strict) Vegetarian" or "Fruit Plate".
Feb 9th, 2006, 06:14 PM
esm

Faina,

Not to discourage you but let me tell you my one and only experience with ordering low cal/cholesterol meal.

It was on Northwest going to Japan and the food was so bad that I called and changed the return food to regular! I don't know which airline you'll be using and my experience is from 6 years ago so you may have a good meal.

The amount of food was less than their regular coach meals and I'm not a big eater. The best way I can describe it is that the food was tasteless. A very dry piece of chicken, some steamed rice and boiled-to-death vegetables. They didn't even give me a piece of bread.

Feb 10th, 2006, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

LOL no RK, not serious.

Gardyloo, LOVE your answers! (if I'll be fired for laughing it will be your fault)

I just typed the (partial) list of choices of meals.

Always phone for vegetarian, and usually the guy at 800 number reads a list of vegetarian choices... there is never just a vegetarian meal, there is vegan, and vegan restricted, and vegan this, and vegan that, and vegetarian this, and vegetarian that. Never just vegetarian! Oh, well, I can bring my own cheese
Feb 10th, 2006, 05:35 PM

These days it's probably safest to pack your own food - especially domestic. And guess what, Hawaii is domestic. Some friends flew to Hawaii in December and were fed nothing! Fortunately they brought some snack food so they didn't have to hurt someone.
Feb 11th, 2006, 02:40 AM

Low calorie, low cholesterol, low sodium, low fat is what they serve everyone on most flights - it is called "no food"
Feb 11th, 2006, 08:42 PM

They have those meals in the seatback pocket on every airline. On United Airlines it is called Hemispheres. American Airlines has American Way Magazine.
Feb 13th, 2006, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

How did Hawaii got into my post?

I guess I'll be chewing the paper napkin they serve with a drink
Feb 13th, 2006, 02:37 PM
KT

"I guess I'll be chewing the paper napkin they serve with a drink"

Ahg, the high-fiber meal. Well, that should be an improvement over the standard meal.
Feb 27th, 2006, 03:33 PM

A lot of airlines dont even offer food anymore. Check www.trip-information.com to see which ones do.
Feb 28th, 2006, 05:05 AM

In this month's National Geographic Traveller Magazine, there is a terrific article about airline food.By the time your tray is placed in front of you,the meal may just be 24 hours old!!Brown baggin looks good, baby!
Feb 28th, 2006, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

No, BeachBoi, I'm going to take Gardyloo's advice:

"Snider answer: Wine is food"

after all, San Francisco is the wine country gate!!

8 days, 8 days...