Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

If I have to wait 331 days to book my flight, how do I book my round trip airfare?

If I have to wait 331 days to book my flight, how do I book my round trip airfare?

Jun 28th, 2004, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Can I book my departure flight on the 331st day and my arrival flight separate or wait until it is 331 days of the arrival date back from my trip to book it round trip?
I am using FF miles if it makes a difference.
Jun 28th, 2004, 10:37 AM
mjz

Your best bet would be to book your departure 331 days in advance and then call back 331 days in advance to book the return portion of your trip.
Jul 12th, 2004, 03:47 PM

But if you are using FF miles, don't you have to book both flights at once? That was the impression I got yesterday trying to do what you described.

BTW, not every airline opens flights 331 days out... NW is 352, although it seems to be a ballpark number and not exact.
Jul 12th, 2004, 06:46 PM

They can leave the return open, and you can book that 331 (or whatever) days prior to your return trip. It's done all the time with no problem and no extra cost on most airlines.
Jul 12th, 2004, 09:30 PM

I just booked RT with Northwest/KLM using Alaska Airlines FF miles and was told I had to call back to book the entire flight, which I did.

Different airlines may have different policies, (and maybe it even depends on who you speak to when you call), but this is what I was told. But go ahead and check with your carrier--it can't hurt to ask.