I Really Need to Rant for a Moment

Old Mar 19th, 2020, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I Really Need to Rant for a Moment

So the media is saying that there are too many people using the Florida beaches. Some people were observed only five feet from others? But in the meantime, I can purchase an airline ticket for $37 from Orlando to Denver and return next week and share my arm rest with 200 people on a four hour flight and sit next to a stranger for four hours?
It is time to close down the airports. Why did so many people die in Italy, Milan airport. Why are people dying in New York City, Newark and JFK airports. Now we have a problem in Atlanta. Does Jackson Hartsfield ring a bell?
The airlines should turn their large airplanes into cargo planes. Their smaller planes should be turned into private charter flights.
Old Mar 24th, 2020, 09:36 AM
J62

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I made up a rumor that they were serving free alcohol on these flights, and passengers could use that as hand sanitizer.

In all seriousness, I agree it's a tough question and I can't claim to know the best policy. On the one hand, your points about crowds and distancing ring true. On the other hand, transportation for essential activities, at some low level, does have merit, even with risk. Allowing people to get home makes sense. Some travel for essential business - to get the right people in the right place, perhaps as well. People hopping around to visit friends, or non-essential business, no.

Old Mar 26th, 2020, 07:02 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Domestic flights have been quite empty, in that American Airlines put out a blurb, saying that they'll reassign seats to allow "safe space." Dying in Newark Airport?? As a lifelong resident watching local news everyday, this is a new one for me... what is the source for this information?
Old Mar 26th, 2020, 07:20 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We have an unreal amount of planes still coming into Fl and they were to fill out paperwork on flights and turn into the Dept of Health upon arrival. Great plan since they are supposed to quarantine. No health department is there though so they go on their merry way. The ones that drive from NY are also in the grocery stocking up and are not in quarantine. DeSantis is not doing anything. The port is really strange. Six ships dock and then rotate so the others can dock for supplies and fuel. All the crews are still on board.
Old Mar 26th, 2020, 09:19 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Dying in Newark Airport?? As a lifelong resident watching local news everyday, this is a new one for me... what is the source for this information? "

I think the OP was trying to say . . . Why did so many people die in Italy? Because of Milan airport. Why are people dying in New York City? Because of Newark and JFK airports.

Re Milan airport -- the airport itself wasn't the problem. It was the tens of thousands of Chinese fashion industry workers from the worst affected parts of China who freely travel back and forth continuously. And did for weeks/months before the Chinese gov't disclosed the magnitude of the problem. Italy is a special case in Europe and northern Italy in particular because of the symbiotic relationship with China. The virus was already out of control in northern Italy before it was even recognized in the west.
Old Mar 28th, 2020, 02:24 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wally34949 View Post
The airlines should turn their large airplanes into cargo planes.
You mean like this?

https://www.aircargonews.net/airline...o-meet-demand/
https://hub.united.com/united-cargo-...645563015.html
https://blog.virginatlantic.com/carg...rgin-atlantic/

Old May 13th, 2020, 11:20 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Flights from Chicago to L.A have been mostly full for almost two weeks now. So while Los Angeles extends it's safe-at-home policy, loaded planes are flying into the city daily. And the "mask requirement" on most of the planes is not enforced, apparently.