Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page > I need tickets to Scotland Pronto;where is best source?

I need tickets to Scotland Pronto;where is best source?

Jan 30th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Original Poster

I need tickets to Scotland Pronto;where is best source?

Looking to go to Scotland and need tickets nailed down; There is a plethora of 'fly cheap' sites out there; which one do you recommend for best service;prices?
Jan 30th, 2007, 07:19 PM

From New York? Johannesburg? Auckland? Isle of Wight?
Jan 30th, 2007, 07:26 PM
Original Poster

From Seattle/Tacoma...and do you know when is the best time to buy tickets to get the best price? will price be going up or down as the spring/summer comes?
Jan 30th, 2007, 07:57 PM

Nobody knows. Do you think the price of gas will go up before the summer?

For travel in June/July, right now the cheapest I can see is Flyglobespan from Vancouver to Glasgow, at around C$950/US$805 return, which is around US$400 cheaper than SEA-EDI or GLA. http://www.flyglobespan.com
Jan 30th, 2007, 09:26 PM

When are you going? Why "pronto" if not going soon?
Feb 5th, 2007, 08:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone. Finally settled on BA Coach plus....wanted to get the tickets sorted out so we can begin with a touring itinery...didn't want to buy them too soon, but not wait until too late, and into high season to get good B&B's reserved, etc.
looking forward.
Feb 5th, 2007, 08:58 PM

Well Clara, you posted a vague question, then found ur own solution.The type of posting that annoys me as there is no reference in ur solution to the suggestions made. Makes me wonder why u bothwered in the first place
Feb 5th, 2007, 09:07 PM
Original Poster

Sorry flybob: The only suggestion above that I can see is from Gardyloo and his/hers was about a flight out of Vancouver, which would be totally out of the way from here. I had planned to shop and search longer, but the other people booked before us, and we had to get there the same time and day for transportation reasons. And, what again do you think I should have done? Still interested in what people think is the best and most dependale source of tickets, as we travel a lot.
Feb 5th, 2007, 09:17 PM

Most of us book directly from the airline.

We still have no idea when you're traveling.
Feb 6th, 2007, 03:44 AM

If you travel a lot, then you need to know that the more specific the question, the more accurate the answer. You indicated "pronto" in your header, which implies you were leaving soon. Then we learned that no, you just wanted to get tickets "pronto" for a trip that is (evidently) later in the year.

You also mentioned "cheap" sites - implying you were budget motivated. Then we learned that you're flying from Seattle/Tacoma. That's why I suggested Flyglobespan, which is a low-cost airline based in Scotland that happens to fly to Vancouver. Even counting the connection from SEA to YVR it was way cheaper than any other possible connection, and if you're an experienced traveler you'll know that changing planes at YVR (30 min. on Horizon from SEA) is way, way easier than changing at LHR, which is what you'll get flying "coach plus" (actually, World Traveller Plus, the "plus" IMO meaning "plus too many more dollars.") We route through YVR for longhauls quite often, as it happens, as do many.

SEA happens to by my home airport and I can assure you I keep up on airfares from SEA to Europe, and WT+ on BA from SEA is nowhere near the "budget" end of the spectrum.

There is no one best site for consistently cheap prices or service. As rkkwan says, most of the time you'll get better service (and save $5 booking fees) by using the airlines directly.

I'm glad you got your trip arranged; Scotland is a second home as you might surmise from my handle. And it's "he" by the way.
Feb 6th, 2007, 01:30 PM

Clara, sorry if i was a bit sharpe but you really should give all the facfs in your question to get useful information
Feb 6th, 2007, 08:41 PM
Original Poster

hanks everyone...sorry if I was vague. I was feeling pressured by the fact that our tour company wouldn't start planning our tour until we got actual air ticketsk, and I was tasked to do it for the group...that's the 'pronto' part, but we are not leaving until late summer, but we were stalled at this part of the planning. I didn't want to lock in tickets for other people who would then come to me and say, wow, you could have got them cheaper if you had looked around. Anyway, we are going to Scotland again and will see the Tattoo...isn't that grand?

Search this Thread