How to use 250,000 FF miles on US AIR

Jan 2nd, 2005, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

How to use 250,000 FF miles on US AIR

hi, what is the best way to use my 250,000 us air miles before mid-month? i heard that if i go on a partner airline, then my tickets will still be honored. i want to go from connecticut/new york/newark (all are within 90 minutes of my house) to the caribbean (or somewhere warm in us) in mid-march. what partner airlines should i be considering? can i trade us air miles into hotel miles, as i will prob not need all my miles to get airline tickets. thanks, karen
Jan 2nd, 2005, 08:25 PM

250K miles is plenty to get anywhere in the US, Caribbean, Hawaii, or anywhere else, in business or first class, with tons left over.

Check our http://www.usair.com/dividendmiles/r...ward_chart.pdf

or

http://www.webflyer.com/programs/mileage_converter/ to see your many choices.
Jan 3rd, 2005, 03:55 AM

If you go on USAir website, they tell you what airlines currently partner - there have been some recent changes, likely due to financial health of USAir.

There was a poster here in past week or so who said they had called a partner airline who promised to honor FF ticket even if USAir stops flying - and another who said an airline would not. And since I have seen nothing in writing about this possibility, I would be careful about counting on it.

I think there is no guarantee that a partner airline ticket would be honored. But you can go ahead and book as long as you are prepared to possibly not go. We have tickets for late February with cancellable hotel, and will unfortunately have to cancel if tickets are not honored.
Jan 3rd, 2005, 05:39 AM
Cassandra

Have a great time wherever you go and let's hope there are no hitches. But I'm also wondering -- if you have some miles left over, is there some way to donate them either to tsunami relief or US people in the armed services?

Jan 4th, 2005, 01:38 PM

The senior execs of USAir will know by Thursday evening if liquidation is inevitable on 15 January.
M
Jan 4th, 2005, 04:12 PM

Quickly!!!
Jan 4th, 2005, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

hi, thanks for your info. i will decide wed for sure. if anyone else is in the same boat, i went on the us air site and found out that i can go to points.com and trade my 250,000 us air miles. they are only worth about 10,000 american miles if I trade them on points.com (american airlines sets the value and obviously they think the miles are relatively useless). OR, points.com will let me buy about $550.00 worth of gift certificates from marriott or giftcertificates.com (includes amazon, j crew, banana republic and hundreds of other merchants). not much, but better than getting nothing for my miles. it also appears i can book on gocarribbean airline and take my chances, bc it is not clear that partner airlines will honor FF tickets US air stops flying. as for donating the miles to charity, i am all for it, but i am guessing that if us air stops flying, the points will be useless to EVERYONE, even charities. might be like donating a milli vanilli t-shirt to goodwill. karen
Jan 7th, 2005, 05:13 AM

I beleive US Air is a part of the Star Alliance program and if you act quickly enough you should be able to trade in those points for any star alliance airline...you can check www.staralliance.com for information on which airlines you can fly..
Jan 7th, 2005, 05:53 AM

My understanding is that you can use your miles on another Sate Alliance Carrier.

However, you can not convert your miles to that of another Star Alliance member.

I am holdng tickets on United and Lufthansa bought with USair miles.
I can only hope that they will be honored.

Jan 7th, 2005, 05:59 AM

My apologies...I meant that you could trade in those points for a ticket on any star alliance member..