Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

How to Prevent Expiration of Qantas FF Miles?

Old Jun 8th, 2012, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DH and I each have 17K+ FF miles from Qantas that will expire soon, and I'm trying to find a way to keep them in our accounts. It's easy to do this with a US airline by buying a gift card, subscribing to a magazine, or buying something simple. But, when I search the QA site, there's almost nothing I can purchase in the US except two (one night each) nights in a hotel (most chains are represented), which isn't on our agenda at the moment. I even looked into buying a Westfield (shopping centers) gift card because I could use it in Australia next year. When I try to do that, the site only gives the option of shipping it to Australia; there doesn't seem to be an option to get the card electronically. Any ideas from you QA frequent flyers?
Old Jun 8th, 2012, 06:43 PM

form the website it looks like they have lots of partner airlines. do you have any domestic flights coming up?

i do wonder if you only have 17K miles each, what will you use them for if you save them?
Old Jun 8th, 2012, 08:03 PM
Original Poster

Nope, nothing domestic coming up. We're using UAFF miles to go to Europe in October and to Australia in March 2013. I haven't investigated closely, but QA has a link on their site to a miles+money plan for as few as 5K miles. I'm guessing that it may be possible to book using a miles/money combo, so the 17K may come in handy at some point.
Old Jun 8th, 2012, 08:04 PM

Some airlines let you buy a few points and that can keep your account active. Check with Qantas first to see if it extends your expiration. It appears 500 points are $20.
http://www.qantas.com.au/fflyer/dyn/...ts/topupPoints

Another option is transferring hotel points from a hotel reward programs (Hilton, Marriott, etc.). Once again, check with Qantas to make sure this counts before transferring. Sometimes this can take awhile to credit to your account (may state is takes 8 weeks) so you need to make sure the points will post before expiration date.
Old Jun 8th, 2012, 08:06 PM
Original Poster

It's called Points Plus Pay and here's a bit of information from the Qantas site:

Points Plus Pay allows Qantas Frequent Flyer members to obtain flights with a mixture of points and money at qantas.com. The more points used, the less money paid! The minimum number of points required is 5,000.
Old Jun 8th, 2012, 08:10 PM
Original Poster

Wow! Thanks kybourbon! I think buying 500 miles will work just fine. Last time I kept the miles (earned in 2006) active by booking a stay at a hotel.
Old Jun 8th, 2012, 09:02 PM

You can onlyuse topup points towards an award - you can't just buy points to keep the account active

I would call them