Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

How to find out which airlines fly which routes

Old Apr 20th, 2001, 12:12 PM
gail

I'd like to find out which airlines fly from Boston to different cities in Spain without stops. Is there a website I could look at that shows routes, e.g., from Boston to Malaga or Boston to Madrid, etc.? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Old Apr 21st, 2001, 04:01 AM
Cass

I've often wished for just such a website. A quick check of Travelocity yielded no airlines that fly nonstop between Boston and either Madrid or Malaga, and the only way to get to Malaga is through London (and sometimes Barajas as a 2nd stop). However, Travelocity won't show charters and the like. Check with a travel agent (never thought I'd say that) for group travel and you may still find a nonstop to Madrid that way.

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 05:29 AM
Patrick

www.amadeus.net has all that info

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 05:44 AM
Lorton

Patrick: What link? I went to that website and saw nothing different from Travelocity or Expedia or any on-line reservation service -- which means you don't know 'til you try to make a reservation which airlines might get you there -- and one suspects, there are "featured" and "unfeatured" airlines.

This doesn't help someone like Gail who wants to see some sort of map or list of carriers according to cities they cover.
I don't think Amadeus is any different from the others in requiring her to go through the tedious business of pretending to book a flight between several pairs of cities to see if any come up "nonstop."

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 10:22 AM
gail

Hi. Maybe with all the trouble posting in the last couple of days, Patrick hasn't been able to reply. Thanks to Cass (it helps to know you're not alone) and Lorton (for trying Patrick's suggestion which I wasn't able to read til today due to site problems). I'd still really like to be able to find out all the airlines that fly between two places so I can see the options. Had terrible problems getting to southern Spain this year and would like to avoid it next year. Thanks much for any advice.

Old Apr 24th, 2001, 05:44 AM
ron

Gail, in the old days, before the Internet, this information was available in an expensive monthly publication called the Official Airline Guide (OAG), subscribed to by the travel department or library of all major corporations. OAG has a website, www.oag.com. You may want to look there, they probably still have the information, but it probably still isn't free.

Old Apr 24th, 2001, 09:05 AM
Patrick

My suggestion was www.amadeus.net. If you check under availabilty between any two cities it will list airlines flying that route but yes only those on the amadeus system. You might also try sabre and the other reservations systems. Some of the routes are abviously duplicates/code shares but they are fairly transparent.

You can't book any flights on amadeus - it just shows routes and availability. You might want to take a closer look at it.

The airline with the most flights to spain is Iberia so you might start there, but I think they only fly from New York, Miami, LA and possibly Chicago. Air Europa also does some charters from North America to Malaga but I would not recommend these (they are usually from New York only)

You will have difficulty getting a nonstop from Boston to Malaga but you should easily get a one stop via London, Paris or Madrid. There is no reason for two stops (other than price).

One stop service should be available from BA, Air France and Lufthansa.

Old Apr 24th, 2001, 10:01 AM
Patrick

Actually I've just checked amadeus. There are no non-stops between Boston and Malaga.

The three fastest (time-elapsed) one stop routes are Swissair via Zurich,
Air France via Paris and American/Sabena via Brussels.

Swissair and Zurich are generally hassle free but may be expensive.

Old Apr 25th, 2001, 09:37 AM
gail

Patrick: thanks for checking. Two years ago we used Sabena from Boston to Brussels to Malaga. Did you happen to notice on Amadeus if there were any nonstops from Boston to Madrid (or ANY city in Spain?) - I haven't been able to find even one -- is that really possible???
The motivation behind all this is that we live in the northeast, can only travel in March, weather is lousy and causes delays resulting in missed connections. This year, honestly, was so bad (it took us 2 days to get to our destination, and another 2 for our luggage to find us) that my husband wants to return to spain only if we can drive to Boston (2 hours), get on one plane, get off at the other end, and drive where we have to go.
I can't believe that there isn't a nonstop flight from Logan to Spain!

Old Apr 25th, 2001, 07:18 PM
Cass

Me again. Did more checking.

Nope, you can't get from Logan to Spain nonstop on regularly scheduled carriers. However, you can fly nonstop to Paris (Air France or Delta) or London (Delta, British Air), which are pretty good hubs from which to connect to Madrid or Malaga. Be particularly savvy about which European carriers are code-share with US carriers, because it'll make booking and freq-flyer mile program issues much easier.

Old Apr 26th, 2001, 05:51 AM
gail

Cass: I'm afraid you're right - I rec'd a reply from the Logan Airport website with the same info. I guess I'll start checking out flights to London. I'm not sure how to go about ascertaining code-share info but I'll learn as I go. I really appreciate your help, Thanks.

Old Apr 26th, 2001, 08:26 PM
Cass

British Air and American are code-share partners, along with Aer Lingus, Iberia, Finnair. (But I'd advise against flying Iberia.) I know you can connect at Gatwick for Madrid, but I don't remember wehther the flights from Logan go to Heathrow or Gatwick. Your husband would never tolerate a Gatwick-Heathrow connection.

Delta also has "worldwide" partners, and for some reason, United seems to be among them, but I don't find other European carriers among them. However, I much prefer to fly Delta than American.

ANyway, have a great trip.

Old Apr 29th, 2001, 04:38 AM
Cass

Hi again, Gail,

The other question on this forum about Icelandair made me go to their website just for the heckuvit. I notice that they fly nonstop from Boston to Rekjavik but _also_ in the summer nonstop to Madrid and Barcelona. If you have to connect, it sounds like Iceland would be a lot more pleasant, and sure, than London or Paris. You might want to look into it, because this airline has a very nice reputation.

Old Apr 29th, 2001, 05:06 PM
gail

Hi Cass. Just found your reply re Iceland Air. Will go check out the website but wanted to say thanks for the info, in the meantime. I appreciate it!