How did you do in 2009?

Search

How did you do in 2009?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How did you do in 2009?

With half a month to go in 2009, I'll summarize my pretty monumental (for me) flying year. I still have 4 flights to take before year's end, but I'm including those in the total:

Total mileage: 58,800+ (previous record: 47,700+ )
Number of flights: 32 (previous record: 19)
New airports: 4 - BUR, KIX, DEN, KOA. (brining my total to 101)
New airlines: 3 - B6, VX, HA
New plane type: 2 - B717, CRJ-900

And, thanks to the DEQM offer the last few months, I qualify as an elite for the first time ever (AA).

How's your year?
Old Dec 13th, 2009, 05:57 PM
yk

I'm done with all the flying this year.

Total mileage: 50,230 miles
Number of flights: 23
New airports: BUD (Budapest)
New airlines: none (all flights are on either AA or BA)
New plane type: don't know and don't care

I'll add one -
Miles redeemed for flights this year: 127,500

Not counting my home airport (BOS), my next most visited airport for 2009 are tied: LAX & LHR.

Also, thanks to AA's DEQM, I will requalify for Platinum through Feb 2011.
Old Dec 13th, 2009, 06:08 PM
Original Poster

23 flights and all on just two airlines? Wow, loyalty!

I should have flown on 9 different airlines by end of year: AA, CO, DL, NH, HA, B6, VX, ZH and CA.
Old Dec 13th, 2009, 06:11 PM
Original Poster

My top route is JFK->LAX, which I flew 4 times, once in F. Interesting, I only flew LAX->JFK once.
Old Dec 13th, 2009, 06:11 PM
yk

<i>Wow, loyalty!</i>

Either that or no PLT! I barely squeezed by, with the DEQM promo.
Old Dec 13th, 2009, 07:00 PM

I have three more flights before the end of the year, but here are my estimates.

EQMs: just over 125,000 on United; planned that way for two extra systemwide upgrades

BIS miles: I haven't added this up, but probably around 80k; being under DEQM promotions for half the year didn't hurt!

Flight segments: 46, all on United (or various regional carriers operating as United Express); 40 domestic and six international

New airlines, airports, plane types: None

Top route: ORD-PHX, 7.5 times (the other .5 will be in 2010)
Old Dec 13th, 2009, 07:06 PM
yk

I assume "total mileage" in the OP meant BIS miles. At least that's my definition.

My top route was LAX-BOS, 4x.
Old Dec 13th, 2009, 09:24 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
BIS map - http://tinyurl.com/y8qoqfe

126K EQM so re-upped AA EXP.

Only a few airlines - AS, AA, BA, VX, LA.
Old Dec 13th, 2009, 10:03 PM

Bery little since I got married and work out of the house, but thanks to AA's policy for giving lifetime status to 1 and 2 million milers, I'm Plat for duration of the program. Get all the perks without all that flying.
Old Dec 13th, 2009, 10:33 PM

I flew on 2 airlines this year:

1) United
Total BIS revenue mileage: 58,702
Total *A EQMs: 110,618
Total award BIS: 10,830
Number of flights: 41
(5 Ted, 8 economy award, 28 upgraded from economy)
Top route: LAX-IAD, 12 segments

2) Aeroflot
Total BIS revenue mileage: 384
Total OnePass EQMs: 384, 1 point
Number of flights: 1 (SVO-LED)

New airports: DME, SVO, LED, SBN, MCI, BDL
(lifetime: 45 domestic and 62 foreign = 107 airports)

New airlines: Aeroflot
New FF program: OnePass (now in 11 programs)
Old Dec 14th, 2009, 01:33 AM

I did okay. I will requalify for DL Platinum, but will need to do a quick mileage run (2k miles) next week to do it.

On SkyTeam airlines, I flew right around 50k miles (will reach Plat due to some fare class bonuses), on a mix of AF, DL, NW, KL, and KE. I also tacked on an award from ZRH to Asia on AF and KL that totaled around 13k miles. Was upgraded on all 4 eligible domestic legs (2 in RJs with no F), the mileage trip was in J, and upgraded 5 TATL legs (+4 legs for the wife) with DL PMUs. Suffered through coach on 3 TATL legs, and CDG-ICN and back.

With OneWorld, I logged right around 18,000 BIS miles, mostly on BA (ZRH-LHR-HKG in WT+ was the biggie), but one flight on CX.

With *A, I logged somewhere around 25 to 30k short-haul miles, but earned only a fraction of that, due to those darn partial credit fares on SK and LX. Used one award with them for a short-haul flight.

Had a couple of other random flights, I'm sure. I don't keep that close of a count of BIS miles - once my miles post, I forget about it.

Wasn't able to take advantage of any of the double EQM deals, due to the timing and geography of my flying - only ZRH-CPH and EU-Asia for the first half of the year, and then 4 TATL flights in October and November.
Old Dec 14th, 2009, 02:37 AM

How could I forget? I did visit one new airport this year, DTW-Detroit.
Old Dec 14th, 2009, 03:19 AM

This is a record year for me!

So far (and with 6 more segments to go):
EQS 41 + 6
EQMs right now stand at 134,716, but will be over 150k in all

Airlines: UA, Thai, Swiss, Hawaiian (also very loyal to UA)

new airports? Krabi Thailand

new planes? can't think of any but I don't pay that close attention to this one

most frequent routing: ORD to BKK and back (4 round trips this year)

I'm not sure how many SWUs I'll earn with UA with 150k, but it's a first for me (thanks to Dbl EQMs of course); actual BIS miles would end up at about 110,000, I think. Maybe more.

I'm in the middle of a mileage run right now, doing email in my hotel room in TPA. Back to ORD in about 4 hours.

Looking forward to finding out everything that 1K entails, as this is a first for me. I've been premier exec for about 5 years in a row.

Carol
Old Dec 14th, 2009, 04:09 AM

Having been 1P on United for the past several years and getting to that level on segments, not miles, it seems that I just managed to keep 2P for 2010 by making a couple mileage runs. Flights this year - 23, Miles - 27K all on United. Business has been down significantly for 2009.
Old Dec 14th, 2009, 07:57 AM

>>>How did you do in 2009?<<<

(Well, no canceled flights, not too much turbulence, and yes, still cherishing those sensational Singapore Girls.)

Thanks for the thread, rkkwan, and congrats on your travels. Managed to maintain that 1K status with UA, via, yes, those 'DEQM' promos. (Two SIN-HKG-SFO DEQM round trips, rather helpful.)

Personal/professional loyalties continue with Singapore Airlines (big surprise) and retained my rather lowly PPS status with that cherished carrier.

No new business travel airports for me in '09: still SIN, BKK, HKG, NRT, ICN, SFO (and for pleasure/family, KOA/OGG/HNL out of SFO for burning those UA CR-1s for weekends in Paradise; and the UK for a late-summer break, via SQ F 'for free', using Kris Flyer miles).

Current business travel outlook for 2010 looks somewhat similar: ~ 10 SIN-BKK flights with SQ; ~ 4 TG BKK-HKG (and NRT) flights; and ~ 8 'trans-pacs' with SQ and UA.

Warm holiday greetings and joyous air travel to all of you, perhaps, with SQ.

macintosh (robert)

... All Around the World -- Singapore Girls ...
Old Dec 14th, 2009, 08:18 AM

I think I did pretty well this year....I will requalify for EXP.

BIS miles: 72,345 + a few thousand more miles as we leave for 1 more international flight this coming weekend. That would put me roughly around 82k by year's end.

EQMs: 122k (thanks for all the DEQMs!!)

New airport: Lisbon

airlines: nothing new, mostly OneWorld-- AA, BA, IB, SN, JAL, CX

Flight segments: 52

For next year... I already have 4 confirmed international flights and a few domestic flights. Crossing fingers that AA would again offer DEQMs, so that I can safely requalify.
Old Dec 14th, 2009, 09:04 AM
J62

I had a great year, considering how little flying I did.

I accumulated ~250,000 FF miles, enough for 5 round trip tickets to Europe, or 10 in the US. The last 100,000 posted Friday on BA.

Spent 150,000 FF miles on 4 family RT US tickets, and we all flew FC both ways.

The ratio of FF miles to paid flown miles was very high, ~ 50:1

I took 50 different trips this year, for a total # flight segments = 4. The rest were all driving trips.

Total paid flight segments = 2
Total FF flight segmetns = 2

I spent 46 paid nights in Marriott hotels, and redeemed points for a couple of nights at the beach.

Didn't get stuck in any airports, no missed flights, no canceled flights.
Old Dec 14th, 2009, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

Oh yeah, forgot. I actually booked on Go! for my KOA->HNL flight, but they canceled 3 days before. That's the first cancelation I've got for a long long time, and I would have gotten another new airline.
Old Dec 14th, 2009, 09:33 AM

BIS: 55,500 (best guess, can't find IATA/ICAO codes for Gallon Jug Belize or Finch Hattons Tsavo West Kenya)
Segments: 31
New airports(airstrips): Gallon Jug, CUK, ZLO, UVF
New airlines: none
New aircraft: Gippsland GA8
Miles redeemed: 607,500 (mostly for friends, family and upgrades)
Top route: LAX-JFK 3x (never flew JFK-LAX)
New personal record: zero checked bags (if you don't count gate check)
Highest number of carry ons: 1 22" roller, 1 guitar and 2 coolers on a Cessna Caravan (don't worry I don't normally attempt this)

I canceled my Bali mistake fare trip originally scheduled for this month because I couldn't quite convince DH to fly LAX-JFK-CDG-SIN-DPS and back for 4 days in Bali That would've been another 27,000ish BIS, 2 new airports and a new aircraft but in hindsight, I'm kind of glad he stopped me.
Old Dec 14th, 2009, 04:13 PM

Some 50 return flights so far. Some 2 or 3 one-ways only, some with 3 destinations, and a few connections, so the overall number of segments should be somewhere near 100.

No "incidents", no lost luggage, no diversions.

Nothing really funny or exciting than maybe one minor incident last month when I had to do the same trip MUC-TXL (Munich-Berlin) and back three times in one week mon/wed/fri. Somehow I managed to mix up my pre-printed boarding passes and showed up at the gate for a flight I thought I had checked in, but in fact I had not. All people had already boarded through the jetway, and the lady at the gate got a bit nervous but then just called the cabin crew. And then said to me: Ah, just get on board and grab a seat.

Cutest announcement I heard in a while was last week when we had a bit of frost in the morning. The captain of our Gatwick-bound Easyjet flight explained very carefully that, in a few moments, we should not be scared when something that may be dripping or fuming will appear on the outside. But it will be totally harmless and we should not be scared (yeah, mentioned it twice). Needless to say, but that "scary prodecure" was nothing but the regular de-icing before take-off

Favorite aircraft: Embraer 190 (2-2, no center seats, great). Or any that gets to its destination in time.

Least hated airport: Munich (or I simply know it already a bit more than others)

Best hated airport: Munich (Who was that idiot who decided to build it in the only big foggy swamp available in a 100km radius)

Best hated airport (alternative): Brussels (check your luggage, it will be already running on the carousels before you get there - from the Schengen pier that is)

New airports: FMM, CRL, REU
The first one (FMM) even stupefied the purser while doing his regular announcement: Welcome on our Ryanair service from Dublin to.. (pause, pause, pause).. Memmingen. Ladies and Gentlemen, I have no fecking clue where that is, but I guess it might be somewhere in Germany. (Bingo. And big laugh in the cabin).

Number of flights left this year: only 1 (MUC-ORK), thank heavens, and fortunately no business trip. ORK is actually one of my favorites, too, since it's modern, compact, no-(shopping) nonsense fast in and out, and the IATA code makes you feel as if you were embarking on an extra-terrestrial flight (You have to be of a certain age and have watched a certain TV show in the 1980s to get that one).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -