Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   How much time between flights in HNL? (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/how-much-time-between-flights-in-hnl-770611/)

LauraT Mar 3rd, 2009 09:00 AM

How much time between flights in HNL?

Planning to book on United ORD to HNL. Then book HNL to LIH on Hawaiian Air - least expensive option. Booking separately through the respective airlines.

I am wondering if I will be able to check luggage through to LIH when I check in at UAL since it is not a single ticket. Rarely check luggage, so inexperienced at this!

I am assuming that if we can check luggage through, we will need about an hour betwen flights, right? If we can't check through, how much time will we need. There are flights on the hour. I would rather wait in the airport than miss a flight (of course don't want to spend too much of my vacation in the airport!).

Thanks!

PS Does anyone else hate the flight booking part of the trip planning as much as I hate it?

Debi Mar 3rd, 2009 09:11 AM

If you have 2 separate tickets, then you will have to collect your luggage, then take it to HA and recheck it. Honolulu isn't that big an airport, but I would leave a couple hours. Actually, depending on the time of the flights, I might leave a little more since I'd want to walk around a bit, maybe get some lunch in the airport before I had to get on another plane... :).

LauraT Mar 3rd, 2009 09:48 AM

Thanks Debi! I will allow myself 3 hours - your lunch idea is good. I really hate to be rushed and worry about missing the flight. Also, I suppose if we are there early and there are seats on an earlier flight, they might get us out early anyway. Thanks again!

DebitNM Mar 3rd, 2009 05:26 PM

Keep in mind that since you are booking 2 sep. tickets, IF there are changes in schedules, delays during trip etc. United will not do anything to help you. We did similar thing with AA and Hawaiian a couple of years back.

When AA changed our flights into HNL and left us with little time to connect, it was my problem to fix as they were ticketed sep. Hawaiian was nice and really tried to help out, but there were fees involved etc.

I think that you <i> may </i> be able to have UA ticket the entire trip, which will enable you to check bags through to final destination and also be responsible for flight delays etc. Hope I have explained this correctly and clearly. You may have to do it over the phone or as a multicity ticket.

Deb

Luisah Mar 4th, 2009 06:18 AM

I'd ask the airline about checking your luggage through to your final destination when you have tickets on different airlines. I've done it several times but it's up to the airline. Most have agreements with other airlines, even those that are not partners.

I would allow more than an hour between flights even if you can check your luggage through, otherwise if you miss your connection you may have to pay for a ticket on the next flight.

If possible, I allow two to three hours between flights even when I'm flying on the same airline.

Good luck

Kaneohe Mar 4th, 2009 07:18 AM

It takes about 15 minutes to walk between terminals, probably 20 minutes to collect your luggage, and another 30 to check and go through security, so 3hrs should be plenty of time. I suggest that you check and see if you can get on an earlier flight to LIH when you check in with Hawaiian, otherwise you may have up to 2hrs to kill in the interisland terminal. If you do end up with a lot of time to kill, check out the gardens at the airport (ask anyone who works there) or walk back to the main terminal (the two terminals connect so you won't have to go through security again) and have lunch at the Kona Brewing Company.
Also, just want to mention that Hawaiian is having a sale on interisland flts right now, in case you don't have your tix yet.
Aloha
Aloha!

LauraT Mar 4th, 2009 11:47 AM

Awesome. Thanks for all the feedback. I think I may wait on booking the HNL/LIH ticket in the event that UAL changes or cancels our flights. My guess is that we will be able to purchase these relatively inexpensively 30 to 60 days prior to trip. I have had a lot of experience with UAL cancelling flights, so I know the perils! You try to do the right thing and book in advance, but the airlines always find a way to screw things up!

When we finally go, I will check about having the luggage booked through...you never know.

kimkenley Mar 5th, 2009 04:44 PM

Last week I flew Hawaiian Airlines from Maui to Honolulu. I then had a flight from Honolulu to Cleveland on Continental. Hawaiian Airlines checked my luggage all the way from Maui to Cleveland and I avoided the $15.00 baggage charge from Continental.