How is the NEW Air France business class???

Dec 14th, 2007, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

How is the NEW Air France business class???

Has anyone flown Air France since they upgraded their business class cabin? The website doesn't really give that much insight into what it's really like!

I'm holding some FF tickets from LA to Paris, 10.5 hours, which is fairly long to me. I'd like to know if it would be better to go a different route with more stops to get on Continental's business class which has always been super nice. I see that AF's seats are .5 inches smaller in width than Continental which isn't a big deal, and everything else is about the same. I know already that they have the standard 180 "lie flat" business class seats which are terribly uncomfortable to try and sleep in but still a lot better than coach. How's the food? Service?

Any input will be welcome. they are holding my fligths on courtesy hold for 7 days so I can shop around. My other options for FF business class are Continental, Delta, and Northwest.

Thanks a bunch!
Dec 14th, 2007, 03:27 PM

Personally, I wouldn't take an additional connection for a better business class product, plus you'd likely be flying domestic first from LAX to another carrier's gateway. To me, that would be a worse option than business nonstop.

There are actually 3 slightly different versions of the new AF business product. You can check the AF forum on Flyertalk. They're listed as NEV1/NEV2/NEV3 with a progressively better (more horizontal) angle to the floor as you move up in number.

I flew 773 (NEV1) and 772 (NEV2 or 3, can't remember which) in Sep. To be honest, I didn't notice much of a difference between the two but both were a huge improvement over their old business class product if you've ever flown that. I don't generally like lie flat at an angle seats, but I found these more comfortable than KL's version. I've never flown CO BF and my NW WBC experience is too old to be relevant. I find DL BE recliner type seats comfortable to sleep in, but the ones on the 763 are quite narrow.

The food is OK, usually better ex-CDG than LAX. Service wise, I don't find AF to be as attentive as other carriers. They set up a self serve bar and rarely come around after meal service or replace your empty bottled water or other little niceties. However, given the options, my preference would still be AF.
Dec 15th, 2007, 05:04 AM

I recently flew AF in biz on the CDG-LAX aft flt and really liked the new seats. Unlike CO, when the person in front of you puts their seat in any position, it does not interfere with your space as the seat slides down within the shell. There is still the "slide" factor since it is angled but lying on my side, I had no problems. F/A's were very pleasant but service needs a bit of polish.
Dec 17th, 2007, 12:32 PM

Flew Biz Class CDG to SEA in July on a newly offered route. An Airbus with the new seats. The food was terrible. The seat was perfectly comfortable. Service wise it was OK. I prefer SAS as they come around with water etc more often.
Dec 17th, 2007, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

It seems the new seats are comfortable enough from what I'm reading, so that's good. It seems on this board and a lot of other boards that they are saying AF has terrible food, which surprises me since it's French. I am super spoiled with Continental's biz class food, it's amazing! Kind of stinks since over a 10.5 hour flight we'll have two meals and a snack. Oh well, we'll just have to make up for it when we get to Paris Thanks for all the advice.
Dec 17th, 2007, 01:52 PM

The food in biz on AF was perfectly edible but the one time I took CO Biz/First service, the food was very good for an airline!
Dec 21st, 2007, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

I noticed that the business class cabin on AF 777-300 is divided, there are 2 rows of 2-3-2 then there is a buffet on both sides and a bathroom on only the one side. Then the rest of the 15+ rows are behind the two buffets and the bathroom. Seat guru says this "forward mini cabin" is desirable, so I chose the 2 seats on the side with only the buffet and no bathroom.

At first on seat guru, it appears that there is a great space between the first two rows and the rest of them as seen on seat guru. However, when you look at AF's layout, it looks as though the buffet will be right behind my seat!

Has anyone has experience with these particular seats????????? Will the buffet be right behind me with people milling about???? I took seats 4A and B.

http://www.airfrance.fr/common/image...ax_maxi_en.gif

Dec 21st, 2007, 09:57 AM

A good trip report on AF C is here - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=769504
Dec 21st, 2007, 11:53 AM

I wonder what hall that poster arrived and whether s/he just missed the Acces No.1 lane at passport control. It's also not immediately apparent what this lane is for.