Search

Ear Planes

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 1999, 11:01 AM
Barbara

Ear Planes

Has anyone tried "Ear Planes"? My ears hurt terribly when landing and someone told me to try them. They look like ear plugs but somehow they are supposed to balance the pressure in your ears.

Old Apr 16th, 1999, 07:46 PM
Carol

I always bring Ear Planes with me when I'm flying. Used to frequently travel in my job and remember being close to tears on many flights because of the pressure whenever I had a cold or sinus infection. Hope they work as well for you... <BR> <BR>They make you feel funny in that you can't hear anything. Just plug them in, close your eyes, and act like you're sleeping! <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Apr 22nd, 1999, 09:16 AM
Erin

I too highly recommend Ear Planes. After landing, the pain in my ear was so bad, any time I yawned or swallowed, a hideous crunch was sound in my ear and the pain would be unbelievable. Now that I use EarPlanes, I don't have this problem anymore. TIP: Buy them at a mega-grocery store, drugstore, or from Magellan's. They are way overpriced at the airport.

Old Apr 25th, 1999, 11:51 AM
Wendy

They come in adult and kid sizes. Though I have bought them at Walmart for about five dollars you can get them in lots of 10 for four dollars from the manufacturer. Check out their web site (www.earplanes.com or www.mellenmedical.com/earintro.htm). Each pair is supposed to be used for 1 round trip only.

Old Apr 26th, 1999, 09:34 AM
pam

To those who've used Ear Planes, any idea about the 1-use-only rule? I'm a cynic and suspect that rule may have more to do with sustaining demand that necessity--any insights?

Old Apr 29th, 1999, 08:01 AM
Kristin

As it turns out, Ear Planes are just an expensive brand-name for a product you can get at any hardware store. Just ask for the ear plug section. The plugs that work best have a little cylindar wrapped in a spiral and are made of rubber. The two plugs come connected by a wire and sell for a $.50-1.00.

Old May 24th, 1999, 07:48 AM
Irene

My husband suffers from the same thing terribly, but his doctor has told him to try "Sudafed" an over the counter decongestant. He takes it a couple of hours before landing and he has no pain. I've never experienced this but this has helped him tremendously.