Reload this Page >

How much is infant fare?

Search

How much is infant fare?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30th, 2000, 04:55 PM
Bean

How much is infant fare?

I'm planning a trip with my baby girl early next year. I remember reading somewhere that airlines charge between 10% to 20% for infants under 24 months of age. However, a friend has recently paid 75% of the adult fare for her 5-month-old. Does anyone have information on how airlines charge infant fares? Thanx!

Old Dec 1st, 2000, 09:34 AM
Mary

Bean: <BR>I thibk each airline sets their own policy. Check with expedua or travelocity. They ask the ages of all travelers and prices are shown by airline. Good luck!

Old Dec 1st, 2000, 11:25 AM
ilisa

Most airlines offer half price fares for children under 2 if you are purchasing a seat for them. However, you have to ask. We fly USAirways a lot and always get the rate. Be persistent. We are going away in January and purchased tickets during a USAirways sale. The agent on the phone originally said we could not get the 1/2 price fare for our daughter because our tickets were on sale ($150 each). However, I kept asking if he was sure about that. He checked with his supervisor who said we could get the fare. So just keep asking. Special fares are available. I think your friend got screwed. Incidentally, online travel sites such as Travelocity don't have the capability to register passengers under the age of 2.

Old Dec 18th, 2000, 12:53 PM
harvey

I think children under 2 are free. At least ours was on Continental. Check with your particular ariline.

Old Dec 19th, 2000, 07:00 AM
Fred

Children under 2 are free if you lap hold them which is not only unsafe but tiresome. Most airlines will give you a disount if you purchase the extra seat and use your car seat. Make sure your seat is approved for airline use.

Old Dec 20th, 2000, 06:37 AM
Outraged McOutraged

This is NOT the forum to buy and sell infants Mr. Bean. I suggest you try swapababy.com. (I loved your last movie)

Old Dec 20th, 2000, 01:38 PM
shocked

Outraged: I'm shocked and somewhat worried. For once, your drivel was actually clever.

Old Dec 21st, 2000, 03:58 AM
Outraged McOutrages

I must be slipping.

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 07:06 AM
anne

Author:Anne <BR> I have just purchased a ticket for my 17 mo. old at 10% of my fare.He will be sitting on my lap. This is an Aer Lingus flight from Chicago to Ireland. If I wanted a seat for my baby I would have been charged 75% of my fare. The reason I chose to have him seated on my lap wasn't just the extra expense but the realization that I dont have the kind of baby who will sit in a car seat for any length of time,he would be sitting on my lap or my husbands lap for most of the flight even if we had purchased a seat for him. I was also told by an Aer Lingus agent on the phone that I would be asked to hold the baby on take off and landing. Doesn't make sense to me if he had his own seat- but that is what I was told.Also the reason I had to pay the 10%, is because babies dont fly for free on international flights- they even pay full departure taxes.

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 11:44 AM
Parent

Anne-Both the Assoication of Flight Attendants and the Department of Transportaion STRONGLY URGE parents to buy the extra seat for their child. Clear air turbulence, esp. above large bodies of water, is a very real danger and an unsecured child can be ripped out of a parent's arms and act as a projectile. There have been numerous documented cases of this happening!! Plus, do you really want to lap hold a child for that long??? For your child's safety and your sanity, buy the extra seat. If you can't afford to pay the extra money for a seat for your child, perhaps you should leave your child at home!

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 06:34 AM
Anne

message: Parent-Thank for the advise,I may have to rethink my plans. I didn't realise this was such a safety issue. I have relatives who have lap seated their children and know that this is very common practise. I'm surprised that airlines are able to lap-seat babies if this could be potentially dangerous. All of our car seat regulations are so strict for the safety of our children. Why do you think airlines would put babies at risk by allowing lapseating when they have nothing to gain, and only to lose by not making extra money? Anyone who can afford to fly can no doubt purchase an additional seat for their child. What do you think?