Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Help! When point beyond is in Delta's best interest

Apr 30th, 2010, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

Ok, I understand that Delta is concerned about "point beyond" or "hidden city" ticketing. However, I'd like to ask a question which, in all seriousness, highlights the confusion about this policy with regard to my own travel plans. I booked a Korean Airlines round-trip flight from Raleigh-Durham to Jakarta (Indonesia) where the first and last legs (both domestic connections) are operated by Delta, from a January 2010 departure to an August 2010 return. Last month my husband got a job transfer to Phoenix and is in the process now of moving all of our stuff from Raleigh to Phoenix. My return flight path is scheduled to go from Jakarta to Seoul, Seoul to Atlanta, Atlanta to Raleigh-Durham. When I spoke with Korean Airlines about changing the last leg to Atlanta to Phoenix (there is a flight with many seats available), they told me I was unable to do so because the flight I had booked would not allow me to return to a domestic destination west of Atlanta once I arrived there. All flights on similar fare scales are booked to all their West Coast destinations for the entire month of August, so they cannot reissue my ticket unless I upgrade to the next fare scale, which I cannot do since my ticket was issued by a fellowship and I am locked in to remaining on the ticket which I submitted with my budget back in January.

I looked into the possibility of continuing on to Raleigh-Durham anyway and then getting a flight from there to Phoenix, which is an unappealing prospect because it means a lot longer time added to an already long 2-stop trans-Pacific route. All of those Delta flights that I would book from Raleigh-Durham connect BACK THROUGH Atlanta on my way to Phoenix and they all have extremely short (less than 1 hour) connection times in Atlanta. I will be checking a bag and I'm incredibly concerned that in the case of weather or any other luggage handling problems, that will cause me to either be separated from my bags or cause me to miss the last flight out of ATL to Phoenix that day (because I'm arriving from Asia late morning and then have to go to Raleigh and then back to Atlanta on the way to Phoenix, the only flights I can make on Delta's schedule leave after 7pm from Raleigh and seem to be the last flights of the day). I cannot stay overnight in Raleigh without incurring a huge cost both to get to a hotel from the airport with my luggage and then return, as well as paying for a hotel since now my home is no longer at that destination.

I have looked and the Delta flight that goes directly from Atlanta to Phoenix is the exact same price as the Delta flight that goes from Raleigh-Durham to Phoenix for the day I would like to fly. What I would like to know is, given how silly the situation seems (taking 2 extra flights and all the extra work for the airline to move my bag through, running the risk of missing my connection on the return, and adding more than 10 hours onto the total trip, just to go from one airport to another and BACK to the original airport on the flight path), is it possible to ask Delta to make an acception and let me just book a ticket from Atlanta to Phoenix and not use the last leg of the pre-booked flight? I would literally just be taking up 2 extra seats to and from the same cities that the airline could sell, and with no difference in cost to the airline, as I'm happy to pay for the one-way ticket from Atlanta to Phoenix. It seems like there is nothing in Delta's best interest to make me complete the aforementioned route as opposed to skipping my last flight leg and the first part of the RDU-PHX flight itinerary.

I know the original ticket isn't a Delta ticket, it's a Korean Airlines flight that's a codeshare with Delta, but the flight is still a Delta flight. Does anyone have any experience with attempting to appeal directly to a Delta ticketing or reservation agent to try and make them see the reasonable nature of what I'm asking to be able to do? I literally want to be able to say "I'm buying a new additional Delta ticket (ie. not another airline) at the advertised price, and it costs the same as if I were flying from RDU but instead is just from ATL but it means I technically have to 'throw away' my seat on the ATL ro RDU flight." I understand why they want to avoid customers circumventing their ticketing policies and such, but this doesn't seem to be in either their interests or mine. Does anyone know if I'll be able to deal with them reasonably, because if not I'm not going to bother contacting them lest they immediately suspect I'm going to do something against the rules and flag my name in their system?

Thanks,
Sarah
Apr 30th, 2010, 07:57 AM

You don't need to ask Delta to do anything for you. You will have to claim your bags at ATL when you arrive back from Seoul. Give yourself enough time for your connection, just get out to the main terminal like if you're just going to Atlanta. Then check-in and drop off bags for your ATL-PHX flight. Only thing you will be paying more is luggage fee for the checked bag for that domestic leg.

If you worry about DL checking double-booked tickets or whatever, don't give them your Skymiles number when booking ATL-PHX and just have that added at the airport or even after the flight.

And if you worry even more, fly AirTran ATL-PHX instead.
Apr 30th, 2010, 11:05 AM

The only complication I see is that unlike the majority of airports you can't just walk out with your checked luggage at ATL intl arrivals. There's a separate baggage recheck for passengers with ATL as their final destination but I don't know if you would need to get your bags retagged. I only ever connect there so I'm not sure what's involved.

If you need to get them retagged, I would stop at the Delta counters after customs and see if they can give you an ATL final destination tag or even recheck your bags to PHX instead. I think if you explained the situation there, they'll help you out.
Apr 30th, 2010, 11:24 AM

Your bags will be tagged to RDU. As has been pointed out what they do is "sort" you as you come through the customs area. Recheck to a "destination" goes one way, ATL goes another way. They do check on the ATL area to makes SURE that's where your bags are suppose to go.

I am not sure what the OP should do. I cannnot remember if there is a Delta counter after customs or if you have to go into the airport?
Apr 30th, 2010, 11:30 AM

I see your point Sarah about your bags, if there is bag weather and delays your bags are going to Raleigh.
What you need is a baggage tag in Jakarta that will send your bags on to Phoenix. You could call Delta and Korean airlines and talk to them. Perhaps they could just cancel out the last leg of your flight with no charge. If they could do that then you could purchase the Atlanta-Phoenix ticket on Delta and have it tagged in Jakarta for Phoenix. I do know that agents will not tag a bag to a destination that does not show on your itinerary.
When you call ask for a supervisor.
Apr 30th, 2010, 11:31 AM

"bag" weather to read "bad weather
Apr 30th, 2010, 11:43 AM

will your fellowship not allow you to change and pay the difference?
Apr 30th, 2010, 11:56 AM

Yes there are staffed counters after customs at baggage recheck before you go through security. I think approaching one of the agents here and explaining that your plans changed will work.

I do know that agents will not tag a bag to a destination that does not show on your itinerary.

In general agents will tag your bag to a destination not on the same itinerary as long as you have proof of onward travel and the carriers interline (not an issue in this case). The ATL-RDU leg would need to be canceled.
Apr 30th, 2010, 12:19 PM

Right, they will if you have an onward ticket. Agree that that leg would need to be cancelled.
Apr 30th, 2010, 12:46 PM

Oh, sorry about my post. Forgot the unique set up in ATL. [CLE is similar.]
May 1st, 2010, 04:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the comments, I've flown into many other US airports from abroad before but never connected through ATL so it's good to know the process there is more restrictive than a number of others where "just walking out" is a lot easier.

@mztery, I would love to just change the ticket but according to Korean Airlines (who the ticket is booked with) every single possible flight to my final destination for the entire month of August and into the first week of September is booked for my ticket's fare so it's not just a matter of changing but moving into the next fare category which is a huge jump and something that: a) my fellowship would frown upon (since that difference is much greater than the price of a new one-way ticket), and b) as a grad student I really cannot afford to pay for out of my pocket.
May 1st, 2010, 04:50 AM
J62

When you arrive at ATL, claim your bags, can't you simply rip off the RDU baggage tag and throw it away before exiting customs? Then walk out as if ATL is your final destination?

There will not be any big RDU on your bags at that point.
May 1st, 2010, 07:42 AM

J62,

As was noted above NO! The OP cannot simply "rip off the RDU baggage tag" There is no direct exit from the Customs area. You must return to the sterile area in the airport. You must be rescreened by the TSA. So unless you checked luggage can get past that (liquids etc) then this idea won't work. If you want to see the checked luggage again you have to give it back to the airport folks who either send it to your next plane or baggage claim.
May 1st, 2010, 12:02 PM
TC

Just abandon your luggage. It will show up somewhere, sometime and then Delta/Korean Air will forward it to you at your home address. Same as if it were lost.

Or....if Delta issued the ticket (did they?), I would try phoning in the middle of the night and speaking with someone for help. The agents on at night tend to be much more helpful than the daytime people (not so busy).....and I would keep calling EVERY night until I found someone who would help.
May 1st, 2010, 12:31 PM

What if instead of reticketing to your final destination you just canceled the ATL-RDU segment? Would that require upfaring the CGK-ICN-ATL portion?

Or if you can't reissue the ticket in advance, I wonder if you could ask at CGK check-in to cancel the ATL-RDU segment and tag your bags to PHX (showing them your separately purchased ATL-PHX ticket).

I guess the third option would be the one I proposed above of handling it at ATL baggage recheck. I did some searching on flyertalk found a couple of examples where agents were willing to retag bags:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=930272

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=879462

Now there's always the slight chance that your bags don't make it on the same flight as you and you don't see them in ATL. In that case, I'm not sure how good they are at reuniting you with your bags.
May 1st, 2010, 03:23 PM

can you just short-check the bags from Seoul to Atlanta so you wouldn't have an RDU tag on them? Is the RDU tag the problem?
May 1st, 2010, 04:16 PM

The OP would likely be stopped from putting the bags on the ATL final destination belt with a RDU or no tag.

They may or may not be willing to short check to ATL from CGK but it's worth a try if they won't through check to PHX.

Somewhere at the bottom of the list would be carry on the important stuff and donate the rest of your stuff before coming home
May 1st, 2010, 06:49 PM

OK. A couple of points

1. Delta may not forward the luggage if the OP does just "abandon the luggage" because when they do, they will notice that she didn't get on the plane.... that opens OP to charges. The contract of carriage says taht if you do this the "deal is off" and they can charge you. They generally don't for a one time but when you add "send my luggage across the country" to the equation... all bets are off.

2. Korea won't cancel the last segment only. That's a reticket. (See earlier posts from OP on highly increased cost)

3. OK so what if the agent WON'T short tag the luggage. And remember we are dealing with a Korean Airlines agent NOT a Delta agent. (How good is OP's Korean?) This brings us back to #1.

4. OP can't buy a RDU/ATL/PHX flight and then if the luggage gets short checked etc just stay in ATL to catch the flight to Pheonix. Once she fails to get on the RDU to ATL flight... next flight is automatically cancelled.
May 1st, 2010, 06:52 PM

Have you considered flying SW to PHX from RDU? They have at least one non stop a day, no luggage fees and are probably cheaper
May 1st, 2010, 06:56 PM

By the way, my only expereince with "short tagging" on Delta was a pain. It took a lot of work with the agents on my part and I was in Florida. (I finally told them "I am getting off the plane in Atlanta and the luggage will just have to wait until Monday in Nashville") and I have a lot of status with Delta. I was willing to send the luggage on to Nashville for the weekend and let the baggage office hold it however.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO