Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   Help: Transit through Frankfurt on way to Turkey (from US) (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/help-transit-through-frankfurt-on-way-to-turkey-from-us-1010226/)

eveningcrane Apr 1st, 2014 05:22 PM

Help: Transit through Frankfurt on way to Turkey (from US)

Hi

We are leaving Saturday from Houston to Frankfurt (United) and then straight on to Istanbul, Turkey (via a United codeshared Lufthanza flight). I am not sure what happens in Frankfurt. We will be in transit: Do we go through immigration or is there a transit zone so we just head to our next flight without going through immigration? We are planning on checking our bags through to Istanbul, so we won't need to collect them in Frankfurt - correct?

If anyone has transited through Frankfurt to a non Schengen country, I would greatly appreciate your insights on the process. We don't have a long connection in Frankfurt ( one hour, twenty-five minutes) so I don't want spend time trying to figure out the process.

Thanks

Jeff_Costa_Rica Apr 1st, 2014 07:31 PM

You will go through security and then go to your connecting gate. No passport control because you will be in transit. You won't do that, nor will you see your bags until you get to Istanbul.

The Lufthansa strike is supposed to be over by then. Fingers crossed.

foggybridges Apr 2nd, 2014 07:22 AM

I've done this route (but Miami to Frankfurt, Frankfurt to Istanbul). You will land in Frankfurt, go through security, and then on to your next gate. Be sure to get to security ASAP as lines can be quite long, especially during strikes.

Also- if you're planning on wearing cowboy boots (which I usually fly in) be prepared to get extra screening, I've NEVER made it through FRA security with out them running and re-running my boots and then searching me (Only mentioned as I see you're coming from Houston, I live in Dallas)

Enjoy Istanbul, it is one of my favorite places!!!

alanRow Apr 2nd, 2014 10:35 AM

Don't buy duty-free liquids at Houston - it will be confiscated at Frankfurt

Cowboy1968 Apr 5th, 2014 01:27 AM

And if you're not wearing boots don't take them off at security.
Boots with heels have metal "implants" that set off the metal detector gate if you keep them on.
But I never had any problems if I took them off and let them run through the bag scanner. And I think I did that more than a dozen times.

You can buy liquids at US airports for transfers within the EU IF the airport stores have the tamper-proof plastic bags which get sealed with the sales slip in it. When in doubt, save your shopping for Istanbul. Or the duty free shop in Frankfurt.

The LH strike is over. It was a "planned strike" with a fixed start and end. The only problem possible would be that the LH plane for the connecting flight is not where it's supposed to be. But already today, the flights to IST look normal from FRA.

eveningcrane Apr 19th, 2014 03:14 PM

Hi Everyone

Thanks for your help. The transit went smoothly, of course we hiked an incredible distance to get from one letter to another, both coming and going. Didn't wear boots, but my Sanita clogs set off the scanner. Surprisingly they cleared through TSA Pre-check in the USA, but the Frankfurt scanners definitely didn't like them. Had a great time in Istanbul; it was the height of tulip season and they were spectacular. Everyone is right - Istanbul is a beautiful city, the people are very friendly and the food is wonderful!

Thanks again

Pamela