Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   Help Needed with Heathrow to Athens/Zagreb to Heathrow Flights (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/help-needed-with-heathrow-to-athens-zagreb-to-heathrow-flights-913527/)

4carolina Nov 29th, 2011 12:46 PM

Help Needed with Heathrow to Athens/Zagreb to Heathrow Flights

My husband and I are hoping to take a small boat trip in Croatia,and are trying to use our AA miles.I succeeded in getting us round trip tickets from D.C. to Heathrow,with a return from Heathrow to D.C.BA does Heathrow to Athens,and Zagreb to Heathrow,but is costly.....over $700. At this point AA does not seem to have many 'partners" out there,and we do not want to travel to Hungary [an AA partner].Any other suggestions for accomplishing this part of our journey ??I am most grateful for suggestions.
Carolina

NoFlyZone Nov 29th, 2011 01:39 PM

Is there BA award availability so the AA can simply tag the BA flights on to your TATL itinerary?

Gardyloo Nov 29th, 2011 01:45 PM

BA flies to Athens and Malev (Hungarian) flies from Zagreb to London via Budapest. Both Oneworld members and AA partners.

Each direction would "cost" 10,000 AA miles in economy, 20,000 in business class.

You need to phone AA to book any redemption flights involving partners (except Alaska Airlines, who obviously don't fly to Croatia.) ;)

Gardyloo Nov 29th, 2011 01:51 PM

Oops, missed your comment on Hungary. Tough since at the moment only Malev among AA partners serves ZAG. What's the problem with Malev?

qwovadis Nov 30th, 2011 01:53 AM

www.skyscanner.net best deals onward booked in advance

wizzair.com best econo on that route from personal experience

ryanair.com also to Venice for 1 british pound/fees

for me another cheap way to do it usually the cheapest.

Train to Trieste 4 euros bus to Croatia(bus station next

to train station in Trieste) from 5 euro or so.

Another way to do it Blue Line Ferry Ancona Split

Deck passage from 20 euro in the past.

This is one of those situations that FF miles do not

work well for.

qwovadis Nov 30th, 2011 01:55 AM

Trieste flight will get you closest you can get with FF miles

Venice would be ok too not far plus superneat place to visit.

easy to connect from LON

doug_stallings Nov 30th, 2011 09:24 AM

This is the part that I don't understand. Why did't you try to book your frequent-flier tickets all the way from DC to and from your endpoint destinations? Or are you saying that there are no FF tickets on BA from Heathrow to Athens and from Zagreb back to Heathrow? I wasn't suggesting on the other post that you BUY the tickets but that you book them as FF awards.

Gardyloo Nov 30th, 2011 10:27 AM

<i>This is the part that I don't understand. Why did't you try to book your frequent-flier tickets all the way from DC to and from your endpoint destinations? Or are you saying that there are no FF tickets on BA from Heathrow to Athens and from Zagreb back to Heathrow? I wasn't suggesting on the other post that you BUY the tickets but that you book them as FF awards.</i>

Perhaps they wish to stop over in London en route. That would mean a second (or third) award, as AA doesn't allow stopovers on zone-based awards.