Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Have you opted out of body scanners/whole body imaging?

Nov 4th, 2010, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

Hello all you frequent flyers,

I know that passengers have the right to opt out of the airport body scanners/whole body imaging per the TSA but I'd love to hear about people's experience with this. Regardless of your personal reason for opting out, what was the process like?

Thank you so much!
Nov 4th, 2010, 08:32 PM

Very simple, actually - you just undergo a full body pat down instead of the scan. Takes a few extra minutes, maybe more if there a lot of passengers opting for the pat down. Done with your clothes on, agent does feel inside waistband and high up on inner thigh, but it's a pat, not a grope. No big deal.
Nov 5th, 2010, 04:58 AM

I'm not sure you will get a lot of people opting out on this board. Most people on here seem to think that "anything that makes us safer" is the way to go despite the fact that the WBI still can't find everything and the enhanced pat down isn't much better. The only positive here is that someone is getting really rich with this technology and it's not the taxpayer. The "anything for safety" group also don't seem to mind that the US 4th Amendment rights against unreasonable search and seizure are being blatantly trampled to death. You are treated like a criminal whether you are WBI'd or Enhanced Pat-Down'd. If you try to think like a bad guy you will probably find lots of ways to make it through these searches undetected.
And, in spite of all of these inspections, the cargo is still not fully inspected. How many toner cartridges do you think will fit in the cargo hold?
There's a reason that many people refer to this as "Security Theater". It only looks like they are doing something and you're paying a very high price for the show.
Nov 5th, 2010, 09:13 AM

I don't think this makes us safer.

I also am not bothering to opt out...

I think the TSA is theatre in the extreme...
Nov 5th, 2010, 02:43 PM

Haven't opted out yet, but I'm considering it, since I heard on a mainstream news report that the whole body scanners involve a much higher radiation exposure than first reported.

And I am in agreement with RonDace & CarolA that they don't really make us safer. They can't detect items hidden in body cavities, and what about all the commercial cargo being shipped on passenger planes?
Nov 5th, 2010, 05:05 PM

If they send me to the scanner, I'll definitely opt out. Haven't happened yet, but when it happens, I'll report.
Nov 7th, 2010, 03:17 PM

I did the scanner twice now. In Omaha it was not big deal. In Houston the TSA "officer" was a real witch. I still had to let her stick her hands in my waistband. Next time, I'm opting out. They can earn their money.
Nov 8th, 2010, 04:54 PM

Well. This weekend in SFO they did not have the scanner running.
The pat down was most unpleasant. That TSA agent definitely was in contact with my crotch twice with the side of her hand but there was not a doubt as to where it was.
Her hand was more than just at the top of my thigh.
I didn't mind picking up my top so she could run her hand around the inside of my waistband front and back.
But I did not like her hand touching my crotch.
Nov 9th, 2010, 05:29 AM
P_M

I thought this was in effect nationwide but we discovered that is not true, at least not yet. We are in Aruba right now and we have not seen any scanners on this trip. We flew out of Austin and there were no scanners, then we did leave the secured area in Miami and there were no scanners when we re-cleared.

We weren't patted down either.
Nov 9th, 2010, 11:07 AM

OK. If the agent makes you uncomfortable GET THIER NAME and file a complaint. Otherwise they will keep doing it wrong. (Trust me I have told more then one of them off )
Nov 9th, 2010, 04:47 PM

I am used to being screened. I have a new knee and hip. But not this screening. It made me very uncomfortable.
She did not use a wand. She grasped each leg in turn with both hands squeezing from both ankles to top and only stopped at the very, very top.
I should have gotten her name. Maybe she was overly enthusiastic because it is a new procedure. Then she wiped the gloves with something and placed them in a special scanner or something.
As I told a friend. Maybe she thought I had explosives in my crotch.
Nov 10th, 2010, 12:53 AM

I was with a group of visitors at Domodedovo Airport (Moscow), where they use the body scanners. We were allowed to look on the screens where the body scans of complete strangers were displayed. They do not care whether man or woman.

We passed a different security gate where no body scanners were installed. I (male) was patted by a young, beautiful female agent. After all, not a bad experience.
Nov 11th, 2010, 05:13 PM

I haven't yet been body scanned (read X-rayed really) though a machine was at an airport I passed through a few weeks back. I assume I will confront one in the near future.

I have every intention of opting out. Consistently. In the first instance, the science relied on to prove "safety" for these X ray machines is woefully inadequate. No peer review testing, test results all over the place and, ironically, while the gov't wants warnings on most everything nowadays, they do not post any such info where the machines are located. Pilots and airline attendants should, as they are now doing, opt out.

Also, simply look at the hundreds of people each of these machines is supposed to scan in a couple of hours time? Are they all hiding something in their groins, or other pvt areas? Is one in a thousand hiding something? One in a million passengers? Yet every single one of us get X rayed up the whazoo for that likelihood? Where else would people put up with such nonsense? Is use of these machines reasonable? If you opt out you then get a groping from the TSA? This too is absurd. If they want 100% safety perhaps we all should simply fly naked. Flying is risk, especially in this day and age.

There is an effort to organize a national opt out day right before Thanksgiving. Plainly, that is not a very opportune time but, if enough of us say "no," that may well be the only way to get this ridiculous idea repealed. Insufficient testing, insufficient need, no evidence of efficacy and the transfer of a gross amount of discretion to an Agency which is woefully undeserving.

http://www.optoutday.com/