Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   Have you ever checked in Canvas Zippered Tote (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/have-you-ever-checked-in-canvas-zippered-tote-981151/)

sfmaster Jun 10th, 2013 06:52 AM

Have you ever checked in Canvas Zippered Tote

I am packing up for three week road trip. But flying first I want to use 3 individual zippered large lands end totes as checked luggage - but not sure how they'll do. I could put them into one large duffle, but a little too bulky.

I'll get free luggage with amex delta card and status.....

Any thoughts

suze Jun 10th, 2013 10:38 AM

Do you mind how beat-up, stained or dirty they get?

sparkchaser Jun 10th, 2013 10:45 AM

Suze nailed it.

J62 Jun 10th, 2013 10:54 AM

I check medium to large sized nylon duffel bags all the time. They seem to hold up better than my old hard sided luggage.

I find them a lot easier to stuff into the trunk of a car compared to a suitcase with a rigid shape, whether hard or soft sided & they are great to stuff dirty clothes into - you'd be surprised how much you can fit...

If they get dirty I can wash them.

klam_chowder Jun 12th, 2013 05:53 AM

I check my small nylon duffle frequently as well. It zips up very small and I put it inside my luggage on the outbound flight. On the return trip, if we've bought a lot, I stuff the duffle with all our dirty laundry and just check it. Never had a problem.

Enjoy-la!

lincasanova Jun 12th, 2013 06:05 AM

Exactly what Suze says. There may be grime on it that will not come off, such as industrial grease.. if you care about their appearance at all, I'd at least "bag" them somehow.

suze Jun 12th, 2013 08:49 AM

My favorite luggage for awhile was a cheapie nylon rolling duffle bag that I got for free from Office Depot. It was lightweight and just the perfect size. Didn't last long though, since I checked it thru. It always seemed to get slightly torn, stained with a grease spot, stuff like that, in a way my 'normal' suitcase never did.

patandhank Jun 12th, 2013 04:39 PM

Ditto here with klam_chowder. This is exactly what we've done on several trips with no problems at all.

Melnq8 Jun 13th, 2013 12:18 AM

<Have you ever checked in Canvas Zippered Tote>

Yep, and it was thoroughly destroyed after a handful of flights.

simpsonc510 Jun 13th, 2013 08:40 AM

I've checked canvas bags a number of times. Yes, there might some scuff marks and dirt, but other than that, everything came home just fine.

mlgb Jun 13th, 2013 06:39 PM

Mine can be washed.

But I check a duffle bag rather than multiple totes.

sumrcr Jun 14th, 2013 04:48 AM

I have even had to ditch a duffel bag after it was returned a couple of days late with a large tear in the fabric. There is a risk in submitting any checked bags, but not everyone can get by only with a carryon for all occasions. I now use carryon only, but my wife still checks her bags on solo flights. That may change, since Frontier ripped off the handle off her favorite carperbag style bag. The bad thing is that it was small enough to carry on.

mlgb Jun 14th, 2013 05:04 AM

I've had a regular roll on suitcase with a cloth cover destroyed by airlines too, so no guarantees. Now I have a polycarbonate roll on. Let them try to mangle that!