Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page > Hartford, CT to Delhi, India via Bangkok, Thailand - questions about lost luggage, TSA locks

Hartford, CT to Delhi, India via Bangkok, Thailand - questions about lost luggage, TSA locks

Dec 9th, 2004, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Hartford, CT to Delhi, India via Bangkok, Thailand - questions about lost luggage, TSA locks

Because we are using miles to upgrade to Business Class, we are flying the LONG way to get to Delhi. Our routing takes us on United Airlines from Hartford to Chicago to Tokyo to Bangkok. In Bangkok we have a 3-1/4 hour layover before flying Air India to Delhi. We purchased our Air India Business Class tickets separately so our luggage will not be checked all the way to Delhi. So when we get to Bangkok, we will find out if our luggage made it or not. My question is - what if it doesn't make it? Will United forward it on to India if they find it? We have made the trip to Bangkok a couple of times with no problems but this time we are going in winter with the possibility of delays due to weather, etc.

Next question - TSA locks or ties? Which is best for this trip? Should we only be concerned about having locked luggage in the US or do they search you luggage elsewhere as well?

Please don't make this a debate on the routing - I have researched this ad nauseam and bottom line, it costs a lot more miles (which I don't have) to upgrade for the shorter routes on United's Star Alliance Partners Lufthansa or Air Canada.
Dec 9th, 2004, 12:19 PM

Have you asked UA if they'll check your bags through to DEL? Even if you have 2 separate tickets, it's often possible to have your luggage checked to your final destination. I don't know if this is the case between UA and Air India.

Can't help with the locks, I don't use them anymore.

Search this Thread