Great Luck with Delta FF Ticket to London

Jul 3rd, 2004, 09:53 PM
Original Poster

Great Luck with Delta FF Ticket to London

I decided last week that it would be great to go to London for my birthday in October again this year (like I did last year). I had enough Delta FF miles for a business class ticket. I figured there was little chance of getting a ticket only three months in advance but decided to try. I got a delightful agent (Mrs Jordan) who spent a few minutes checking before she very apologetically told me that only way she could do it for the requested days was to book me on their partner, Continental. This really works much better for me than actually being booked on Delta. Since I'm flying from San Antonio, with the changes in Delta's schedules the last couple of years, flying Continental through Houston is much better for me than Delta. I put the ticket on-hold, confirmed my vacation with my boss, and booked it later that same day. The reservation showed up on the Continental web site within a couple of minutes of Delta booking the flight. I'm impressed -- I honestly thought there was no chance of using the miles this late but it's working out great.

By the way, I'm not an elite status flyer -- most of my miles were acculated through my AmEx Rewards card and using it for EVERYTHING. If they take Am Ex, I put it on the card. Plus I take advantage of as many special offers as I can. I transfer my miles from AmEx to Delta when they offer specials such as extra 15% for miles transferred (Transfer 10,000 points and get 1500 extra miles.)
Jul 4th, 2004, 05:12 AM

You're lucky you got a helpful agent. A few months ago when I tried to book some tickets using DL ff miles, the agent made me feel like I was imposing upon her when I asked her to check various dates/destinations. So I hung up, called back, and got someone else, and the second agent was very helpful. Makes me wonder: if helping someone who calls is an imposition, why are they in that line of work?
Jul 4th, 2004, 09:26 AM

Actually, you are very fortunate.
Continental Business is VG!
M
Jul 4th, 2004, 02:46 PM

That's great! From what I hear, Continental BusinessFirst is really nice. Haven't done it myself (yet), but have gone to Europe in Delta Business class, which was fine (very nice wine and great lounge in Atlanta), but not as good as American business class (in my opinion).
Jul 5th, 2004, 07:07 AM

You're flying CO's 777 from IAH-LGW, and CO's the only airline that I know that put 2-2-2 seating for business class on 777s, not including those with a "business suite" like BA. Most put 2-3-2. [They are also the only airline that puts 2-1-2 on 767, vs 777.] So, you know they have one of the widest C-class seats. And they recline 170-degrees.
Jul 5th, 2004, 10:06 AM

That tinge of green over Alamo Heights is not the remnants of fireworks, it is my envy.
I am a devoted CO flyer and you will love the BusinessFirst travel. The seats are excellent, the service wonderful and the food is quite nice.
Jul 10th, 2004, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

I really wish it were already October! I'm looking forward to the flight now almost (but not quite) as much as the destination.

Heck, I was ready to take any routing Delta could get me, even on coach, just so I could go. This sounds great. Thanks for all the positive replies. If this is as great as it sounds, I may start flying CO instead of DL -- after all, since I wiped out my account for this ticket, I have to pretty much start all over anyway.
Jul 10th, 2004, 06:09 PM

If you're starting all over, you should seriously consider going with AA. CO's FF program is almost as bad as DL's, with tonnes of restriction and 50% EQM rules on many fares.

Since you can get as good a connection to most places in the world via DFW from San Anton, I'd go with AA instead of CO.