Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   Good price for open jaw ticket Newark to Nice, the return FCO to Newark? (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/good-price-for-open-jaw-ticket-newark-to-nice-the-return-fco-to-newark-813641/)

smacknmo Nov 8th, 2009 05:06 PM

Good price for open jaw ticket Newark to Nice, the return FCO to Newark?

We are taking a cruise out of Nice,France which will be ending in Rome. We have never taken an open jaw flight so I don't know how to judge a good fare. I did see one for a little over $800 inclusive of all taxes. Is that within reason for an open jaw or should I hold out for a better price? Another question for anyone that has knowledge of Frankfurt airport. Is an hour and 15 minutes adequate for a connecting flight to Nice?

dfr4848 Nov 9th, 2009 05:49 AM

In general $800 doesn't sound out of line, but when are you going? [We often fly open-jaw and haven't found prices much different than RT to the same city]

If you're connecting at FRA on the same airline, 1 hr 15 min should be OK if you're arriving flight is on time. FRA is a huge airport but fairly easy to navigate. But you won't have time to leisurely find your connecting gate.

smacknmo Nov 9th, 2009 07:28 AM

Thanks for the info. We will depart on Sept 29th, 2010. That departure from Newark is flexible since we are going a few days early to Nice. I would like my connection to be the same carrier so that if the flight is late to our connection it would be a better situation. it seemed as though it was a decent price since our flight to Paris a couple of months ago were a little over $500. I think I will check and what the rate would be for two one way tickets.

germanblonde Nov 9th, 2009 07:45 AM

Two one way tickets will cost you alot more. Often the airlines do not discount one way fares, so essentially you'll be paying full fare.

I use www.kayak.com to compare airfares, the website will quote you prices for different airlines/webistes and you can see how prices vary depending on the routing.

FRA is a big, busy airport, it is easy to navigate. It sounds like you are flying LH, an hour and 15 minutes will be okay only if your first flight is not delayed and there are no long lines at EU immigration. I've seen some very long lines, and I've also seen no lines it's any (You need to clear EU immigration on arrival at FRA before your flight to Nice). I'd take a longer layover if that is available.

smacknmo Nov 9th, 2009 02:03 PM

Ok, germanblonde, I will look for a longer layover. Was trying to get to Nice early enough to make use of the day but if we miss our connection it would defeat the purpose. Thanks!

J62 Nov 9th, 2009 02:35 PM

If you want to get a better feel for fares you could compare the price of the open jaw itinerary to the cost of a round trip to either or both Nice/Rome. Two one way tickets will be way more, as gb said.

germanblonde Nov 9th, 2009 06:50 PM

sorry, some words must have been deleted from my last post by mistake, the sentence should read...

I've seen some very long lines, and I've also seen no lines it's anybodies guess how the lines will be when you arrive.

smacknmo, remember on your return to the US, if you fly from Rome to Frankfurt to connect to a US bound flight, you will need to go through EU immigration in FRA not FCO.

smacknmo Nov 10th, 2009 06:02 AM

Ok, thanks gb.

dutyfree Nov 13th, 2009 11:50 PM

Delta flies nonstop to Nice from JFK and from Rome back to JFK.