Good grief! Airfares to Marseilles??

Oct 17th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Good grief! Airfares to Marseilles??

So several months ago I booked a ticket using frequent flier miles to Marseilles in May -- got a Lufthansa flight through United. My mom, who is 67, will join me for the first half of the trip and thus wants to be on the same flight. I've been checking the specific flights and they have been hovering around $1800. Needless to say, I thought I'd wait a bit. Just checked this morning and the flights are... $4008!! COACH! I'm really hoping someone out there with a crystal ball can tell me this will go down. Any good theories on when a good time to buy will be? Fare sales?
Oct 17th, 2008, 12:07 PM

You can 1) wait; 2) try price it out as separate trans-Atlantic and intra-Europe flights. Often when combining such trips, specific discount fare classes are not available this far out, and it bumps the whole itinerary into full fare.

You can also consider getting the trans-Atlantic flight first, and then wait a little for the intra-Europe.

Of course, the downside is that you're not protected for delays and mis-connections when buying the tickets separately.

If you provide specific dates and flights you're on, and the approx date for her return, we can get some more specific recommendations.
Oct 17th, 2008, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

Wonderful!

THE flight going over is DEN-MRS on May 26th:

Denver

14:05 Munich 07:55 +1 LH481
Munich 10:35 Marseille 12:20 LH4362

We're looking at a return on June 5 MRS-DEN. However, we're a bit more flexible on this. We'll be in Provence so I guess Nice would also be an option. June 4th... also an option. Just PLEASE not the 6:15am flight. And she is 67, so I'm trying to avoid anything too complex. Thanks for any suggestions, rkkwan!
Oct 17th, 2008, 05:44 PM

I can price either UA or LH tickets on that specific outbound and various return flight for about $1,930 right now. Definitely still very expensive, but at least not $4,000.

Buying the DEN-MUC and the MUC-MRS flights separately won't help as that price out either higher.

I'd wait until around Jan and Feb and decide then. It's almost certain those flights won't be full by then, and the prices will be better. And no way they can be even more expensive than $1,900.
Oct 18th, 2008, 02:08 AM

I'd wait until around Jan and Feb and decide then. It's almost certain those flights won't be full by then, and the prices will be better. And no way they can be even more expensive than $1,900.

rkkwan took the words out of my mouth. This is the exact advice I would offer.
Oct 22nd, 2008, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

Found the reason the price is so high... seems the DEN-MUC route may be canceled!

Search this Thread