Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   Good and bad in your home town airport. (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/good-and-bad-in-your-home-town-airport-280771/)

Michael Dec 20th, 2002 05:14 PM

Good and bad in your home town airport.

We all have opinions about airports in other cities, but let's turn the focus a little closer to home. What's good and bad about your hometown point of departure. Here's my thoughts on DFW.<BR><BR>Good: Ticket counters, security check points, and gates are very close to each other so I don't have to walk very far. Heck I can get dropped off right by my gate, which makes life a lot easier. Centralized rent a car facility also makes life much easier to handle.<BR><BR>Bad: Too spread out. Last year my flight was scheduled for Terminal C (that's one of American's 3 terminals), then the gate got changed to a gate at the other end of terminal A. That's a long way to hoof it, and I can only imagine what it's like for people trying to make a fast connection.

Kahlanna Dec 21st, 2002 10:07 AM

RDU - Raleigh-Durham: <BR><BR>Good: small, accessible, has a wonderful used-book store in Terminal C. Never stuck on tarmac waiting for a gate. Almost never stuck waiting to take off. One non-stop to London a day so no need to connect to the dreaded JFK or Dulles or ...<BR><BR>Bad: Parking structures under major construction so you never know how far you'll have to park -- sometimes the only parking is in the remotest-remote. After losing status as a hub first for American and then for Midway, it's struggling. Lots of available gates to sell, no one buying in this economy. Other than taxis, who get sparse late at night, lousy public transportation and local squabbling is keeping good planning for transit to the airport from happening.

kim Dec 24th, 2002 09:33 AM

Atlanta-ATL<BR>Good...shopping, eating, tvs showing cnn)in the waiting area.<BR>Bad...long concourses and the time/trouble it takes to get from your concourse to the great outdoors.<BR>Good/Evil--the people mover train.

Randy Dec 24th, 2002 12:28 PM

Good points I would add for ATL would be 1-Marta service in the terminal since 1988,2-Dining choices on all concourses and atrium...4-1988 rennovation/addition of Atrium between south/north terminals.....The bad?...Bad design idea of NOT having bagging claim on lower level like at post airports..causes major congestion when dropping off or picking up psgrs...also the long elevator rides to/from the concourses!

MI Dec 25th, 2002 03:13 AM

Toronto<BR><BR>There is nothing good about this terrible airport?

Delta Pax Dec 26th, 2002 03:14 PM

As a non-Atlantan, I'd say that the unavoidable TVs showing CNN in the waiting area are far from a good thing. They drive me nuts. Like there's not already enough annoying noise in airports for those of us trying to read or just rest during a layover. There's some decent food in ATL, though.

Michael Dec 29th, 2002 05:18 PM

LAX - Los Angeles<BR><BR>Good: Abundance of nonstop flights, high frequency flights, selection of dining establishments, short walking distance between security and the departure gates.<BR><BR>Bad: Tom Bradley Terminal Immigration Hall is too congested, hours of operation of concessions are limited and should stay open longer for flights departing at 01h00am, and the overall appearance of the airport isn't too clean, waiting for a gate to open, and long taxi times to/from the runway.

joe Dec 29th, 2002 06:20 PM

Who really gives a damm. You people must be terribly bored!