Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Getting Seat Assignments on Iberia (American Airlines Ticket)

Old Aug 5th, 2017, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am trying to get my seat assignment on Iberia flight segments. Tickets were booked with American. Business class. I couldn't get the seat assignments when I booked the tickets on AA.com. And I couldn't use my AA record locator to get them on Iberia.com. I talked to Iberia on the phone. He found my reservation on the phone. But he couldn't get me seat assignments or give me an Iberia record locator. Even with my ticket numbers. Any ideas?
Old Aug 5th, 2017, 10:43 AM

Call AA directly and ask the rep to give you the Iberia Locator Number.
Old Aug 9th, 2017, 04:12 AM
Original Poster

It took some phone calls and some internet research but I got my seat assignments. Here is the quick version. Understand whether your fare included advance seat assignment. Many European carriers don't unless you pay extra. My tickets were business class so they did. Then call AA and get the Iberia record locator. That will get you into your Iberia reservation on the Iberia website. But it might not let you select seats. I got into my reservation and could start the steps to select seat but then it would say something like seat selection not possible. It might have been because my ticket is a one way from Marrakech to Chicago connecting through Madrid. Iberia website found my reservation but then sent me to their Morocco country page, would "speak" only French, which I can understand enough, but it still say something like seat selection not possible. So I googled the topic and found a lot of threads on various travel websites that AA system connection with Iberia system is not that great and there are often problems like this. The tip I got was to go to British Airways website (all three airlines are in the same alliance) use your Iberia record locator to find your reservation and use that to select your seats. Even if neither your ticket nor your "metal" for any segment are BA. It worked!
Old Jan 26th, 2018, 01:48 AM

Thanks for the tip

That was trippy. So I am booked on a business class flight using AA miles and that flight also has a return flight on British Airways. I tried your suggestion and went to BA and choose my seat that way. I already did that for my actual BA leg but didn’t remember that it didn’t get me the option to choose seats of the other airlines. I looked at another posting that suggested if BA’s website didnt work try another one world like AY.. I googled that and went to finnair’s website and thought I was at a dead end because it just had links directing you back to the other airlines and IB already didn’t allow me to choose my seat but I clicked the redirect link anyway and to my surprise in Iberia’s website i was taken directly to seat selection... so weird but I got my rear facing window seat lol
Old Jan 30th, 2018, 03:30 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Buy the catanies green lemon candy nuts on board. We were on an Iberia flight recently but in coach. Tightest seat of my life. The guy beside me said my nuts are in my face. I think he thought we were German and didn't speak English. The most beautiful flight attendants and loved the uniform. I was sweating out our carry on but had no problem. We did not get our seats until check in.

Last edited by Macross; Jan 30th, 2018 at 03:31 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old Feb 14th, 2018, 12:59 PM

AA ought to have the capacity to give you the IB booking reference code via telephone. Code share could be an issue however when attempting to get seats alloyed. Some code share passages don't enable the flyer to get a seat ahead of time.
Old Feb 14th, 2018, 01:04 PM

AA/ Iberia Codeshare seat assignment

AA ought to have the capacity to give you the IB booking reference code via telephone. Codeshare could be an issue however when attempting to get seats allowed. Some codeshare passages don't enable the flyer to get a seat ahead of time