Atlanta Security Screening

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2018, 09:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am still curious about this and wonder if anyone can clear up my confusion.
we recently returned from the Carribean through Atlanta. I have Global Entey, which worked like it should. But after exiting through Global Entry and rechecking our bags we then had to go through security screening.
my most recent trip before this was two years ago through JFK and it was not necessary for the second screening.
i apologize if this question has been asked before.
Old Feb 9th, 2018, 02:59 AM

Sorry, but you are probably "mis-remembering" your JFK experience. When you first arrive at a US Airport from an international destination you must go through Immigration (aka Passport Control) where your GE applies. You then clear Customs. Upon exiting the Customs Hall you are ALWAYS outside the secure area and thus have to clear the TSA checkpoint before proceeding to your connecting gate. Perhaps you forgot that step on your JFK connection or you were doing a Domestic to Domestic flight in which case you stay within the secure area. The few exceptions are when you travel from an international airport such as Toronto that has US pre-clearance for Immigration & Customs. Or is it possible your JFK flight arrived from Puerto Rico or one of the US Virgin Islands? If so, that's a Domestic to Domestic connection since they are US territories.

Last edited by RoamsAround; Feb 9th, 2018 at 03:02 AM.
Old Feb 9th, 2018, 05:03 AM
Original Poster

You may be correct but I think I would remember having to go through a separate screening where I had to take out my laptop, take off my shoes and jacket since those steps have been eliminated for me with TSA per heck.My next flight is direct so I will not have a chance to jog my memory.
Thank You