Gassy flights

Aug 6th, 1998, 12:04 PM
Adrienne

Gassy flights

This may seem rather rude to ask, but does anyone have any suggestions for relieving or avoiding that
bloated feeling I get on long flights? I've tried
drinking and not drinking, eating and not eating the
in-flight meals and even a couple over-the-counter antacids, but I still feel like a helium balloon by the time I land. Is it the rarified air in the cabin or maybe nerves? Half the reason I can't sleep is because I'm afraid if I fall asleep, I might release a real blast.

Aug 6th, 1998, 12:10 PM
David

I would say that you're condition, given the attempt at correcting it through antacids, is simply nervousness.
Keep requesting that aisle seat.

Aug 6th, 1998, 12:17 PM
Luca Bracci

Let it out!! the air blowing in your face, you know those little nozzles that you direct the air at you, well I've found out that air 'neutralizes' the gas
which offends most people.

The planes' engines drown out any load outburst any human can produce, so feel free to be FREE!!!!

Aug 6th, 1998, 02:25 PM
sam

try buying some Beano and tsking it before your flight it always help me

Aug 6th, 1998, 03:07 PM
kam

From a nurse who travels a lot......Your distention probably is a result of lack of movement since you are confined to your little airline seat. Actually, taking antacids can make it worse as the end result of that chemical reaction is more carbondioxide gas. Try to be in the best possible condition you can when you board the plane---ie, don't pig out on Big Macs at the airport! Watch what you eat for a day or so before your trip--try to make it as healthy as possible. Try simethicone---GasEx, but I wouldn't recommend antacids. Beano, I just don't know much about. Eat in moderation, drink lots of water, don't wear restrictive clothing and know that as soon as you reach your destination, you'll be back to normal when you start walking again. I think you would have to be terrified of flying for that to be the cause. The aisle seat and frequent restroom trips helps too. Good luck.

Aug 8th, 1998, 05:24 PM
Cliff

Maybe your problem can be attributed to the excitement of the journey. Do you suffer more on the way to or from your destination? Try not to drink carbonated drinks whether or not their alcholic. Skip the salads too. And like the others said, don't be afraid to let yourself go. Just hope that this is the one time you're not sitting next to Brad Pitt.

Aug 9th, 1998, 09:58 AM
Tricia

Aug 9th, 1998, 10:03 AM
Tricia

the nurse is correct- antacid is for gas in the upper stomach and esphagus. GAS EX is for the gas in the lower stomach and intestines. Find the right product and you should be all set. Another great over the counter mediciation that I learned about in medical transcription is Zantac 75. Used to be prescription only. My teacher said that it is such a wonderful medication if taken to prevent reptitive stomach pain (from ulcers, colitis, etc) it actually prevents surgery. And the wonder of it is you take it for a week or whatever tell the pain is Gone, gone, gone and then you'll be ok for a few months and can stop taking it until a recurring bout of the pain. Another great advent is the band aid strips for the nose that helps people with sinus problems breathe. Nose sprays are not good for ya and these help me breathe all night. Haven't tried them on a plane but I'm gonna!