Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   Frontier Airlines bankrupt today! (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/frontier-airlines-bankrupt-today-341193/)

kevin109 Apr 11th, 2008 01:23 AM

Frontier Airlines bankrupt today!

fourth US airline, 5th overall in last week. This is getting ridiculous. I guess we should travel now before flying costs 10,000 $ to fly to new york, on coach!

Dukey Apr 11th, 2008 04:20 AM

"Poor business practices" again, perhaps???????

mjz_kc Apr 11th, 2008 04:24 AM

That's a shame. I've flown Frontier to Mexico several times and have had good experiences.

seafox Apr 11th, 2008 05:19 AM

Frontier is in capter 11 and they will keep flying and try to pull out of their issues. it is a shame that the trigger was a credit card company trying to boost their cut of the ticket price. I've said it before and I'll say it again, de-regulation to the extent it was done was a mistake. The industry is a mess and the Bozo in the White House continues to not pay attention to domestic issues..... as he said in the begining he can only focus on one thing at a time (the war on terror). Wish the rest of us in the workplace had that luxury!

Fodorite018 Apr 11th, 2008 06:47 AM

We flew Frontier last week for the first time. Much better than most, and I do hope they are able to continue operations.

rkkwan Apr 11th, 2008 07:19 AM

Let me emphasize again, F9 is in Ch11 filing. <b>It is continuing normal operation.</b>

People need to know the difference.

fmpden Apr 11th, 2008 07:22 AM

Don't make assumptions without understanding how the system works. Doubt if was poor business practices. This has been a lean and efficiently run airline. The big issue is the current lack of flexibility in the credit markets. Credit card processors have a habit of holding back funds for firms that engage in heavy future sales -- Float. When any airline sells a ticket for a future flight they do not earn that revenue until the flight occurs -- that could be hours or months. The cc processor only advances a portion of the ticket sales (maybe 40, 50%) at the point of sale and holds back the balance until the service is delivered. Of course, the cc processor is protecting their intersts. That can produce a enormous bubble of free cash or float that the airline can use. It is report that the Frontier cc processor decided to increase the hold back to nearly 100% thus effectively killing the float. With no short term credit being available because of the currently liquidity in the credit market, Frontier was instantly out of cash. Another of the many victims of the current credit crunch. There will be more.

Reisender Apr 11th, 2008 07:28 AM

Frontier is an excellent airline and on of my favorites. I hope they can get through this and continue to operate. Losing them would be a big loss for our area as they offer excellent schedules to the west coast, Alaska, and Mexico from here.

FainaAgain Apr 11th, 2008 08:04 AM

Frontier was good. I'll miss it.

Do I sound like writing a eulogy :)

fmpden Apr 11th, 2008 09:06 AM

It is chapter 11 --- a long ways from being dead.