Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   From YYZ to India - Lufthansa? BA? or Emirates? (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/from-yyz-to-india-lufthansa-ba-or-emirates-993750/)

Elizabeth_S Oct 2nd, 2013 11:53 AM

From YYZ to India - Lufthansa? BA? or Emirates?

All are one stop over (Frankfurt; Heathrow, Dubai respectively) and all within $50 of each other. I somewhat prefer the two shorter hauls with Lufthansa and BA versus the long haul to Dubai (then a very short haul). And wonder if flying via Frankfurt is better than LHR?

Ideally I'd like to buy an exit row seat immediately upon buying the tickets and just went through the BA process to see how that happens....it appears the exit rows aren't sold until 14 days before departure. Will do the same now for Lufthansa.

Appreciate any insights - TIA

amer_can Oct 2nd, 2013 07:20 PM

Have flown both Luft. and BA to Europe and they were just fine but the Emirates option is interesting. Every comment about the line seems to be good and if you can get a comfortable seat what difference does the long haul really make? Did you try for an exit row with them???

Southam Oct 3rd, 2013 04:18 AM

Emirates offers the chance of a stopover in Dubai for a couple of days. It's an, uh, "interesting" destination, a huge city sprung up in the desert based on oil, air conditioning, and desalinated water, and dotted by new mosques and shopping centres.

sb1020 Oct 13th, 2013 12:26 AM

Hi ElizabethS

Just back from India today safe and sound-excellent trip-extremely interesting-clearly on India time as I post

we flew Air France Montreal-Paris-New Delhi-Paris-Montreal

each leg was about 7-8 hours depending if it was east or west direction

Try to price out their Premium economy for the overnight portions of the trip-more leg room

e-mail if you like
By the way my daughter moved to Toronto last month so I will be visiting
Sandy

sparkchaser Oct 13th, 2013 01:45 AM

<i>Emirates offers the chance of a stopover in Dubai for a couple of days. It's an, uh, "interesting" destination, a huge city sprung up in the desert based on oil, air conditioning, and desalinated water, and dotted by new mosques and shopping centres.</i>

And built by what is essentially slave labor.

RJames Oct 14th, 2013 10:18 PM

With BA you could fly on the 787 from YYZ - LHR.

With Emirates you could fly on the A380 from YYZ - DXB.

Beaware, that Emirates 777s are 10 abreast with a 3-4-3 configuration. Compare that to most of the other carriers that have 9 abreast seating in either a 3-3-3 or 2-5-2 configuration.

I have never flown Emirates so can't comment on the seats or service. Flown BA many times, have had good flights and bad flights with them. Only flown Lufthansa a few times, nothing
good or bad to note about the flights.

Prefer Dubai airport to Frankfurt airport (and Heathrow for that matter, but with a BA to BA connection you'll be in T5 which is better than the other terminals at Heathrow) but hate the city of Dubai.

Is mileage important? You'll earn a ton of miles on these tickets.

laurie_ann Oct 15th, 2013 08:54 AM

Also you said you would pick exit row seats. Those might have more legroom but 1. might not recline and 2. might not be allowed to put hand luggage under the seat in front of you (a restriction like there is in the bulkhead row - I had never heard of such a restriction until I flew an intra Europe flight on BA and had the exit row but I understand it is common outside the USA).

If you haven't already checked out www.seatguru.com it would be a good idea. (You first needt to get the details from your proposed flights as to what kind of aircraft.)

sfmaster Oct 16th, 2013 03:38 AM

My SIL says that the long haul is just too far. People start to lose it, bathrooms get yucky, people stop tending to there children. She prefers the flight more divided up.

I do like how the Dubai route allows you to arrive in India at a more sane time (I believe...)

sparkchaser Oct 16th, 2013 03:42 AM

Flying business class would alleviate all of your SIL's concerns.