Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

frewnet flyer traveling with non-frequent flyer

Jun 27th, 2007, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

My husband and I are planning to go t o Europe. I have enough points for a round-trip (open jaw) trip, but my husband doesn't. I have to book the flghts over the phone (AA doesn't do open jaw freqent flyer through the internet).

Question - Better to book my husband's ticket as I am booking my (i.e. speaking to a customer representaive on the phone) even though we will probably have to pay a little extra for using this mode vs. internet, or book his through internet?

My concern: not getting him on the same flight as me if we book it different ways.
Jun 27th, 2007, 05:42 AM
Original Poster

Sorry - The heading should read "frequent" not "frewnet". (It's early here.)
Jun 27th, 2007, 06:15 AM

Simple answer - yes. It only costs something like $5.00 more to book a ticket over the phone vs. internet. Even if it cost $25 more (which it doesn't) the peace of mind you'll have is worth it.
Jun 27th, 2007, 08:46 AM

There is another way if you want to do some of your own work.

Book the best available flight(s) for your husband on www.aa.com and put it on hold. Call AA and try to get on the same flights with your miles. Once you are booked, go back to aa.com and finalize your husbands booking.

or you can do it in reverse. Do yours first, put it on hold. Mileage tickets can be held up to 2 weeks. Then price the same flights for your husband on aa.com and if it's agreeable, book it for him. Call AA back and finalize your held booking.

Either way you're only saving (I believe) $15 so I'm not sure if it's worth all this.
Jun 27th, 2007, 03:12 PM

kenay, do you have status (gold, silver, plat) with AAdvantage? If so, maybe some of the benefits of your status would rub off on him if you booked together.
Jun 28th, 2007, 06:40 AM
Original Poster

mrwonrfl - I think I have lead status with AA.

I'll book it over the phone, and calm my little self down.
Jun 28th, 2007, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

That's "lead" as in the base metal. Not "lead" as in a leader. IOW - Not gold, platinum, etc. Just regular.
Jun 28th, 2007, 01:42 PM

Since AA's lowest level is GOLD already, you can say you're silver.

[I sometimes wonder why the Olympics committee is so behind the times. At the very least, the medals should be silver, gold and platinum. Or do it like AA does, gold, plantinum and ex-plat.

This way, the loser who comes in 3rd can still tell people he gets a gold medal. I mean, how sad it is to train for years and come home with a bronze medal. Bronze? That's so tragic. ]
Jun 28th, 2007, 05:02 PM

Good plan, kenav, with your status now DH can get extra ice cubes in his complimentary beverage if he asks for it.
Jun 29th, 2007, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Well, I did it. I booked my trip. Had to call AA and pay extra $10 to speak to someone, but as said before, this was an open jaw and only I had enough FF miles, so I booked my hubby's flight on the phone, too. Actually, it worked out great. Found that the customer service lady was able to find more flights coming home than there were on the web site.

Husband's ticket (JFK to Paris, Barcelona to JFK) was $480 plus tax (total $570).

Thanks to all.
Jun 29th, 2007, 11:16 AM

Good going, that fare sounds great! When are you going? I find it much better to speak with the customer service agent to book flights, as there are so many possibilities one can't access on-line.
I leave on Tuesday for our European adventure... we are all flying on different airlines with our frequent flyer miles, but meet within an hour of each other. Whatever works
Happy Travels to you!
Jun 29th, 2007, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

Andreesue: We're going at the end of November. I have a conference in Paris and then with a low cost airline (Easy Jet) we're flying to Barcelona.

Where are you going and for how long?

how many people (soudns like a lot) are you going with?

Thinking of inviting friends of ours to come along, at least for the Paris part. I know things can get complicated, though, with mor than just my husband and me to organize. And we want to keep our friendship intact.

Jun 29th, 2007, 02:39 PM

kenav,
How wonderful to have to go to Paris for work Should be great then to fly to Barcelona. Amazing art and culture, food, etc...
I am actually going with just 2 others to Germany and Prague. We are happy travel buddies and treasure our trips together. Very lucky, I know...