Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Fresno Airport ???? United Air website indicates flight on time!

May 16th, 2019, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Having flown out of the Fresno airport for the last 30+ years today should come as no surprise.

I arrive at 6:30 AM as I have four pieces of luggage for my relocation to Europe. My 9:45 flight to San Francisco
is shown on time both online and on all airport monitors.

At 9:45 AM it is announced that the flight is one hour delayed.

But there was a 6 AM flight to SF that was delayed to depart at 9:35 AM. It showed "on time" for
a now delayed 9:35 AM departure.
It is now canceled.

Chaos in the airport and not a one time United/Fresno occurence.

As passengers we spend thousands of dollars for tickets and dozens of hours making plans.
All for naught ......

Is there some acountability?
May 16th, 2019, 10:22 AM

Look on the bright side . . . you are moving from Mendota . . . to Europe

The weather today isn't helping any. Heavy rains, and high wind advisories in the Bay Area.
May 16th, 2019, 04:24 PM
J62

No janis, I don't think they are moving to Europe any more. Sounds like today was the one and only day they were able to travel, as "it was all for naught."

Somebody needs to be held accountable for the weather affecting air traffic..
May 16th, 2019, 06:40 PM

>>No janis, I don't think they are moving to Europe any more. Sounds like today was the one and only day they were able to travel, as "it was all for naught."<<

I doubt that -- hopefully 'All for naught' just meant all the careful planning and there are all these delays. One would not usually cancel a move to Europe just because a flight was cancelled or delayed . . .
May 16th, 2019, 06:41 PM

. . . >>Somebody needs to be held accountable for the weather affecting air traffic..<<

Weather delays are not generally compensable . . .
May 17th, 2019, 09:13 AM

that 9:45 scheduled departure went out at 11:00, so a 75 min delay.
May 18th, 2019, 06:27 AM

In my 40 years of travel through North America, Europe, and Central America, I still do not know "whom is held accountable for weather delays". If someone knows that answer, I would like to know as then I would gladly hold them accountable. Many people would like to know!

But because of the statute of limitations, has time run out?

Huggy
May 18th, 2019, 04:51 PM

This is my home airport, though I do try to avoid actually using it, and even if checking luggage I'm not certain why anyone would arrive over 3 hours early for a flight. Things regularly go pear shaped there and usually not for reasons as understandable as the weather.

Getting out of Mendota is worth an hour wait. Good luck with your relocation.
May 19th, 2019, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for their replies.

Forgive me for not making clear my point. As the airlines compete with each other on price they rely more on technology. Yet in this case neither the 6 AM flight or the my 9:45 flight had accurate flight updates on the United website or at on airport monitors.

BTW two of my pieces of luggage were lost: one found at the arrival airport after a one hour search. And now two days after arrival I am still waiting for another. I was charges $1K in extra baggage fees with a ticket that included two free checked bags up to 70 lbs. each.

Ms. Ttophywife007: so, uh, this comment is for your misunderstanding of the real world. My long time travel agent, who has 50+ years experience with international travel, insists on arriving at the airport 3 hours prior to departure. I have never missed a flight. BTW you do know that Mendota is ranked?
Cheers!
May 19th, 2019, 09:16 PM

"Mendota is ranked..."

Certainly something of which to be proud.

Sorry to read about your lost luggage... and yes, of course, you should follow the advice of your agent with 50 years of experience.

Happy travels

Last edited by Trophywife007; May 19th, 2019 at 09:19 PM.