Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   Free alcohol (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/free-alcohol-515531/)

FREDMADCEL Mar 24th, 2005 01:11 PM

Free alcohol

Have any international flights ended the free booze. Which ones?

PONCHOTJ Mar 24th, 2005 01:24 PM

Most U.S. airlines have eliminated free alcoholic drinks on all their flight. Expect to pay about $4-5 per drink. If you can, fly a foreing airline to your international destination since they still serve meals and free alcoholic drinks. Many airlines are now partners in the FF programs so you will not miss out on miles.

Flyboy Mar 24th, 2005 06:32 PM

Northwest Airlines doesn't charge for alcohol drinks on transatlantic flights (nor transpacific, I presume).

jacketwatch Mar 25th, 2005 01:22 PM

It was free on Lufthansa but for sale on UAL

Gavin Mar 25th, 2005 03:42 PM

Free wine on recent flights with both Air Canada and Ethiopian.

sceneisle Mar 27th, 2005 10:59 AM

On a recent, 2-hour Aeromexico flight from San Diego to Los Cabos: Full, hot breakfast on the way down and sandwiches and alcoholic beverages on the way back (gratis).

wally34949 Mar 29th, 2005 03:37 AM

I strongly recommend checking the prices of tickets. If the foreign airline is only $20 more than the U.S. airline, go for the foreign. They will give you free drinks. If your flying on a U.S. airline international, check the duty free store and make a coctail. This is after security.

Spygirl Apr 3rd, 2005 05:15 PM

"check the duty free store and make a coctail. This is after security."

What, and make a "cocktail" on the flight with your duty-free alcohol? Yes, do that. And as you are breaking federal law (FAA regulations have the force and effect of law) on opening your own alcohol on board the flight, which happens to constitute a safety issue, be prepared to receive a letter of investigation from the FAA, at some point after you disembark, which will lead to a US10,000 civil penalty being assessed against you.

If you can afford that, well okay, But do stop and consider whether it's worth it to do as the above poster suggested, personally, I think a $10,000 cocktail is a bit rich for my blood.
"check the duty free store and make a coctail. This is after security."

What, and make a "cocktail" on the flight with your duty-free alcohol? Yes, do that. And as you are breaking federal law (FAA regulations have the force and effect of law) on opening your own alcohol on board the flight, which happens to constitute a safety issue, be prepared to receive a letter of investigation from the FAA, at some point after you disembark, which will lead to a US10,000 civil penalty being assessed against you.

If you can afford that, well okay, But do stop and consider whether it's worth it to do as the above poster suggested, personally, I think a $10,000 cocktail is a bit rich for my blood.

wally34949 Apr 4th, 2005 02:51 AM

Yes, and it appears the U.S. airlines are so eager for that $5.00 that they will announce all during the night flight--drinking achohol not served by a flight attendant is against the law. Just another reason to take a foreign airline to Europe. You will get more sleep on the foreign airline.

I still recommend making a cocktail at the airport while you are waiting for the plane. Just look out for the "Spygirl."

vedette Apr 4th, 2005 09:12 AM

Spygirl -- you can say that again. Oh, I guess you already did. :D